Go Back   Sonos Forums > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old Nov 30th, 2011, 05:32 AM

Question 3.6 "Sonos will no longer support the Windows Media DRM format"

"Sonos will no longer support the Windows Media DRM format"

This message appears in the description for 3.6 on my Control 200. Before I update, what does this mean?
Old Nov 30th, 2011, 05:41 AM

I noticed it too.
I guess that you might have a problem with WMA-files that you have downloaded somewhere legally, if they include DRM.

If you have been using WMA for ripping your own cd's there is no problem, there is no DRM on those files.

MP3 is also without DRM.

Don't think many users will have a problem with this.
Old Nov 30th, 2011, 06:29 AM
Sonos Support Team

Zinger,

Just to be clear, this will only affect music files which are protected with Windows Media DRM (also known as PlaysforSure). These tracks would have to be streamed through WMA Network Sharing Service in order to be played on Sonos. If you play them directly from your Music Library without using Windows Media Player to stream you're fine. DRM-protected music does not show up in the Sonos Music Library (it can't be indexed).

If you're unsure about a particular song or album, open Windows Media Player and click on Properties. The tab marked 'Media Usage Rights' will indicate whether or not the file is protected with DRM or not.

I hope this helps clarify the messaging. Please let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

Best,

John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 4 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old Nov 30th, 2011, 03:39 PM

Default ZunePass songs

What about songs downloaded from the Zune marketplace using ZunePass? They are WMA files, but I'm not sure what the DRM is.

Currently, I stream them via Windows Media Center to the Sonos
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 06:29 AM
Sonos Support Team

jwctech,

It sounds like the DRM is PlaysForSure, since you're able to stream them through your Windows Media Player.

Unfortunately, this functionality will no longer be available after version 3.6 because of the removal of DRM playback support. I do apologize if this is an inconvenience.

Regards,

John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 4 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 12:44 PM

Default Zune Pass User

I just noticed this after running the update. I need to go back to the previous version. Anyway to do this?

I'm a zune pass user. One of the reasons I purchased my sonos system was that it allowed me to stream my subscription content.

Last edited by reevesmjr; Dec 2nd, 2011 at 12:57 PM.
Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 12:49 PM

I have the same situation as reevesmjr. John, why would Sonos remove a perfectly functional feature? If this feature isn't restored, I'll be forced to consider a different system. Too bad there isn't anything else in the same class..
Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 06:29 PM

So is there anyway to go back to a previous version. this was a main use case for my six sonos system. I used it to play all my Zune pass music throughout the house.

Any reason for removing a feature like this?
Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 06:31 PM

I'll also state my agreement to the folks above. This was a major reason I went with Sonos over your compeptitors, the support for my protected music. Now I'm left with something that is quite useless to me and way outside of your return window.
Old Dec 3rd, 2011, 11:06 AM
Digital Expert

I just found this as well.

I use Zunepass, with the songs on my Home Server, streamed via Windows Media Connect to my Sonos system.

Now I am left in the state where I can't play any of my music ... and my Sonos system is essentially useless.

I've been a Sonos user for 4yrs ... and I've lost track of the number of people I've recommended Sonos to ... and in fact you quoted me on the Sonos store page for many years ... and now you've just left me out in the cold .

C'mon guys, you need to fix this.
Closed Thread