Go Back   Sonos Forums > Digital Music

Old Nov 11th, 2011, 09:28 AM

Default Unable to play music from Spotify

Hi,

Since Spotify has just been released in Denmark i decided to give it a shot, and i got to admit i love it. However, i am unable to get it to work with our Sonos setup.

Our setup consists of in all four Sonos devices, 3 passive and 1 active.

The routers we are using are 3 Cisco E4300 (3 might be a slight overkill, a technician from my dad's work set them up, not that i complain )

Spotify search works just perfect, instantanously. Album art loads perfectly, but the music doesen't play, and i get the message "Unable to play XXX - the connection to Spotify was lost"

This message shows up after exactly 10 seconds, every time i attempt to play any kind of music from Spotify at any point of time. No music is coming through the speakers, at all.

I would be sincerly gratefull, if anyone could assist me with this problem

Yours Sincerly,
Anders
Old Nov 11th, 2011, 09:48 AM

In passing, a point of terminology: by "four Sonos devices, 3 passive and 1 active" one assumes you mean that 3 devices are wireless and one is wired? All Sonos devices are basically Linux computers, so being pedantic about it they're all decidedly "active".

Okay, moving to Spotify...

Have you tried playing Spotify on each of your players? You may find that some work and some fail. If so, reboot the struggling Sonos players (remove power, wait 10 secs, re-apply power) and then try Spotify again.

If you still have problems please describe the network for us, particularly where all the various routers fit in with respect to Sonos and its connection to the Internet.
Old Nov 11th, 2011, 09:53 AM

Active/Passive refers to wether they have an amplifier or not.

And for the setup, only 1 of the Sonos units are connected to an E4200, which is then connected to another E4200, which is connected to the Modem. The rest of the Sonos units are wirelessly connected.

I have tried getting Spotify to play on each and every Sonos unit from each and every device in the house (including 1 mac, 5 pc's, 3 iPads, 2 iPod's and 1 Android Phone), in no case can i get any sound.
Old Nov 11th, 2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anden100 View Post
Active/Passive refers to wether they have an amplifier or not.
Okay, I'm with you.

Quote:
I have tried getting Spotify to play on each and every Sonos unit from each and every device in the house (including 1 mac, 5 pc's, 3 iPads, 2 iPod's and 1 Android Phone), in no case can i get any sound.
FWIW trying from each controller wouldn't have helped, as it's the player which pulls the actual Spotify streams.

There are multiple Spotify servers and each player accesses the server cluster independently, so it's quite feasible for one player to work well while another -- perhaps connected to an over-subscribed server -- does not.

Try rebooting one player and see if that improves things. The player should select a different server to connect to.

If it does not, I'd suggest you try again in an hour or so; past experience suggests that this is the peak weekday demand period for Spotify. If it's just been made available in Denmark this could be compounding the problem as lots of new users try it out.

Last edited by ratty; Nov 11th, 2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old Nov 11th, 2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post
FWIW trying from each controller wouldn't have helped, as it's the player which pulls the actual Spotify streams.
Desperacy, i've tryed anything!

Quote:
Try rebooting one player and see if that improves things. The player should select a different server to connect to.
Done that, lets just say, more than once :'(, tried again, no result.

Quote:
If it does not, I'd suggest you try again in an hour so; past experience suggests that this is the peak weekday demand period for Spotify. If it's just been made available in Denmark this could be compounding the problem as lots of new users try it out.
As stated in the original post, it is at any point of time. I've tried virtually at any point during the day. I even tried at 6AM at a Sunday morning, doesen't give much result either.

I will continue trying for the rest of the weekend (continously reboots, endless attempts, every unit), and hope for any kind of result. If not, I will return, be prepared! :P

Thanks for the quick responses
Old Nov 11th, 2011, 10:24 AM

As a matter of interest, why happens if you bypass one the routers and connect the Sonos system directly to the main router, the one connected to the modem? You'd need to move one of the controllers (a PC, say) into the same subnet as the Sonos devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anden100 View Post
I will continue trying for the rest of the weekend (continously reboots, endless attempts, every unit), and hope for any kind of result. If not, I will return, be prepared! :P
It sounds like you've given it a fair chance then. If you continue to draw a blank, send a system diagnostic to Sonos and open a support request quoting the diag confirmation number. Do so after a series of Spotify failures.
Old Nov 13th, 2011, 07:59 AM

By what you say it appears that you have not managed to play a single Spotify track on Sonos, correct?

If so & forgive me if this is a stupid question, do you have a premium subscription to Spotify? If not, what you describe is exactly what happens.
Old Nov 13th, 2011, 09:32 AM

As I understand it, one wouldn't even be able to register a Spotify account on the Sonos system unless it was a Premium account.
Old Nov 18th, 2011, 05:04 PM

Anden,

You should submit a diagnostic and then submit it to me via PM so I can take a look at it, if you could.

https://sonos.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/s...hp?p_faqid=142

-Clay
Old Nov 19th, 2011, 03:14 AM

How are your 3 linksys routers connected together?

I have an E4200 my self and the device itself doesn't have any issues (it's the greatest wireless router I have ever touch to be honest), but having multiple routers in chain where each one of them masks the IP-address seems like a bad idea.