Go Back   Sonos Forums > Getting Started with Sonos

Old Nov 1st, 2011, 12:23 PM

Default Is there a maximum number of playlists?

I return from vacation and Sonos no longer recognises my music folder while using my iPad 2. It can't see it. Nothing in the meantime has changed on my system.

I reboot my machine [that holds the music library] and reboot the Sonos S5 —*still nothing.

As a last resort I point the Sonos software to my music folder [residing on my iMac's HD] and tell it to start over. It begins to index my main music folder.... except now it tells me I have "too many playlists" and I have to get rid of some before Sonos will complete the indexing. No additional playlists have been added since the last time it worked.

What I noticed is that the indexing has created multiple entries of many playlists, sometimes as many as four exact duplicates.

This is driving me crazy, how do I solve this?
Old Nov 1st, 2011, 03:21 PM

What kind of playlists are we talking about here?

You can have as many M3U Imported Playlists as you wish, limited only by the maximum total capacity of the library (up to 65000 items, depending on tag/filename lengths). Sonos doesn't count the number of tracks contained in M3U playlists; each playlist occupies just one 'slot' out of the 65k.

I suspect that you're in fact using iTunes Playlists, in which case there's a cumulative limit of 40000 tracks. The way Sonos reacts to a cumulative total greater than 40000 has changed at v3.5. See this FAQ: http://sonos.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/so...p?p_faqid=1047

If you use nested iTunes playlists, tracks can evidently be counted multiple times.
Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 02:18 AM

Well, I use iTunes for my music playback, so these playlists are in iTunes. But to be clear, these playlists are created when I rip a vinyl album or download a digital album.

In almost every single instance, these are individual albums by individual artists.

So if I understand this correctly, with the new version of the controller [v3.5] — which I updated to recently — every album artist from 'T to Z' in my library is now missing, as in, Sonos failed to index it because it exceeds a '40,000 track limit'. Whereas prior to v3.5, Sonos could 'see' all my playlists [that haven't changed in number since the version update].

The total number of tracks in this library currently stands at 23,438.

Here's the part from that faq I don't understand:

"Prior to 3.5- Sonos would import ZERO tracks if total number of all tracks in playlists exceeded 40,000

With 3.5- Sonos will import up to 40,000 tracks into Sonos, with the max number of playlists being 1000".

I don't understand the first sentence, given my playlists appeared ok [except for the multiple entries noted below], prior to v3.5.

And here's my other unresolved question:
Why is Sonos importing multiple playlists titled exactly the same, when in iTunes there is only one playlist?

In all instances, a 'playlist' here is an individual artist's album [eg. There's multiple entries for the exact same Springsteen album]. Any thoughts?

Last edited by sewollef; Nov 2nd, 2011 at 02:24 AM.
Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewollef View Post
Why is Sonos importing multiple playlists titled exactly the same, when in iTunes there is only one playlist?
I'm not an iTunes user so I'm clutching at straws here, but if your iTunes library is stored on a NAS there's a small possibility that previous versions of the 'iTunes Music Library.xml' file could be lurking somewhere on the share, perhaps in a TrashBox folder.

It may be that eliminating the duplicates will get you back below the 40000 track ceiling.