Go Back   Sonos Forums > General Discussion

Old Oct 7th, 2011, 06:28 PM

Default Bridge not connecting - Airport Express question

Just setting up my Sonos system. I have an Arris modem that connects to a Netgear 5 port Fast Ethernet Switch, from there I have one ethernet cable connecting to an airport express and one connecting to the bridge. I am unable to connect to the sonos desktop controller.

What do I need to do?

I bought the Netgear 5 port ethernet switch because the Airport Express only has one input. Is there a way to connect the Airport to the bridge?

Also, I have searched the forum and I am sure others have the same question but I cant seem to find the answer.

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 8th, 2011, 01:51 AM

Welcome to the forums.

On the assumption that the Arris modem is just that -- a modem -- your Netgear switch is on the public (Internet) side of the Airport Express. Things won't work correctly at all.

You'd have needed to obtain a router with at least 2 LAN ports: one port for the AE (with the AE set to Bridge Mode) and one port for the Sonos.

In fact I'd suggest you return the Netgear switch and swap it for a router offering 3 or 4 LAN ports plus WiFi. You can then dispense with the AE entirely, or keep it on hand in case you later want to play music from portable devices through Sonos using Apple Airplay.