Go Back   Sonos Forums > Getting Started with Sonos

Closed Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2011, 12:16 AM

Default SONOS Apk

This is my last try...My CR100 is on its last legs, I have a perfectly good Android tablet, but it is prohibited from the Android market, only allowed into the lowly Amazon market.

PLEASE SONOS let your customers download the APK like normal people!!!!!!!! Make it available to ALL your users.
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 12:42 AM

I extracted it and put it online for another user here, I'll share the link for anyone else to download:

http://upload.grabbarna.se/files/com.sonos.acr-2.apk

This is 3.5.2 btw.

If anybody want to verify the checksum it should be:

# md5sum com.sonos.acr-2.apk
md5sum com.sonos.acr-2.apk
03cf22feacf6c61a65ccd2b0a83308c1 com.sonos.acr-2.apk

Someone could probably chime in and verify the checksum as well, just to ensure others that it's legit.

Last edited by jishi; Sep 21st, 2011 at 12:49 AM.
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jishi View Post
I extracted it and put it online for another user here, I'll share the link for anyone else to download:

http://upload.grabbarna.se/files/com.sonos.acr-2.apk

This is 3.5.2 btw.

If anybody want to verify the checksum it should be:

# md5sum com.sonos.acr-2.apk
md5sum com.sonos.acr-2.apk
03cf22feacf6c61a65ccd2b0a83308c1 com.sonos.acr-2.apk

Someone could probably chime in and verify the checksum as well, just to ensure others that it's legit.
I LOOOVE YOUUUUUU!

Thank you.

Unfortunately, it's only a temporary solution, as for sure Sonos will update everything to help out some Apple-related problem and I'll be left in the dark again.

So again, SONOS, please provide your software so people can actually get it!
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 01:54 AM

I agree, they should really provide a link to the apk directly on their homepage.
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 11:13 AM
Sonos Support Management

Hello,

I understand your dilemma, but there are currently no plans to host the Sonos Controller for Android .apk on a file server.

The Sonos Controller for Android may have limited functionality with the OS version of your tablet and able to display it in a workable resolution, however this is not an officially supported configuration.

We utilize the Android marketplace to distribute verified versions against a set of specific Android systems requirements.

Thanks,
Sonos Support
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny - Sonos View Post
Hello,

I understand your dilemma, but there are currently no plans to host the Sonos Controller for Android .apk on a file server.

The Sonos Controller for Android may have limited functionality with the OS version of your tablet and able to display it in a workable resolution, however this is not an officially supported configuration.

We utilize the Android marketplace to distribute verified versions against a set of specific Android systems requirements.

Thanks,
Sonos Support
My dilemma? Sounds more like yours, since you're providing the software and want customers to come to you and buy your product.

My tablet is 2.2, which is what the majority are. The controller has been working fine on my tablet for many months. The resolution has a few cosmetic issues here and there, but nothing damaging, and the software works perfectly, and that's all I care about.

If "appearance" is what Sonos is worried about with respect to the DCR, well the whole thing needs a major rewrite. The way it functions is completely outdated. And the internal design is a completely different look and feel from the splash screen and the icon. Overall, a big mess. Sonos has bigger problems than tiny resolution issues that don't affect performance on an Android tablet to worry about with regard to this software. If you're justifying restriction of the apk based on resolution, then you might as well take away the whole DCR from everybody.

It's fine if Sonos doesn't want to host its own file (although the apk is tiny compared to the DCR, which IS hosted by Sonos), but what about Amazon marketplace? At least Amazon doesn't discriminate.

Last edited by nyCecilia; Sep 22nd, 2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyCecilia View Post
I have a perfectly good Android tablet, but it is prohibited from the Android market
Which makes it less than perfect, no?

Without going into the reasons, some good, some bad, that Google policy rejects the bottom end of the Android tablet spectrum from entering the Market, it's nevertheless possible to install the Market apk on one of these devices.

Search the Web for how to accomplish this. Once you have, you'll be able to download the Sonos apk along with everyone else.
(+ 2 x ACR & pre-3.7 PC DCR on Linux WINE)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 4 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old Sep 24th, 2011, 03:43 AM

Compared to the locked down world of iDevices, the Android world is "messy". Each manufacturer and distributor can add little quirks to their device. These quirks may require special handling by applications. Regular iUsers know better than to ask Apple to provide alternate means of installing applications, but alternates do exist for some Android devices.

Some Android devices are locked to Market by their manufacturer. For example, my Atrix was locked down, but I needed to install an application that could not be placed on Market. I found a way, but it was a big mess. In some cases one must "root" the Android. I don't think that this is a great idea for casual users.
Old Sep 24th, 2011, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz View Post
Some Android devices are locked to Market by their manufacturer. For example, my Atrix was locked down, but I needed to install an application that could not be placed on Market. I found a way, but it was a big mess. In some cases one must "root" the Android. I don't think that this is a great idea for casual users.
In this kind of situation, it's usually sufficient to install the Android Market app, because that will give the user access to Google's Market.

It shouldn't be necessary to root the device to achieve this.
(+ 2 x ACR & pre-3.7 PC DCR on Linux WINE)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 4 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old Sep 24th, 2011, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmacd View Post
Which makes it less than perfect, no?

Search the Web for how to accomplish this. Once you have, you'll be able to download the Sonos apk along with everyone else.
As you say, there are ways around the google market, which makes it PURRRFECT!!!

It does everything I need, and more. *Including* running the Sonos.apk, provided I can find it.

The problem here is getting the Sonos.apk. Once I have it, it is easy to install. But Sonos is no help--actually a hindrance--to finding the actual .apk. And after I had it, they made it stop working--all in the name of iDog (big slap in the face).

I do not understand--and never will--why Sonos would go to such lengths to be this way towards their loyal fans. First the iDog first fiasco (when they completely snubbed WinMo which was waaay long before iDog existed), and now cutting off Android tablets--with NO GOOD REASON.

They may have a reason--but I am absolutely, positively certain--it's not a good one.
Closed Thread