Go Back   Sonos Forums > General Discussion

Old Aug 8th, 2011, 01:38 PM

Default Can You Play Music Off Your Ipad?

Forgive the ignorance of the newbie, but I'm using my Ipad 2 as my controller for a Play 3 linked to the music stored on my laptop. However, sometimes, I don't want to turn on my laptop and just want to play the music I've got loaded on my Ipad. But it doesn't seem possible as the Sonos app just looks for the music on my laptop and says it can't find it. Can anyone help and tell me if it's possible to play the music stored locally on my Ipad 2, and if so, how?
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushy View Post
Forgive the ignorance of the newbie, but I'm using my Ipad 2 as my controller for a Play 3 linked to the music stored on my laptop. However, sometimes, I don't want to turn on my laptop and just want to play the music I've got loaded on my Ipad. But it doesn't seem possible as the Sonos app just looks for the music on my laptop and says it can't find it. Can anyone help and tell me if it's possible to play the music stored locally on my Ipad 2, and if so, how?
Sonos cannot play directly from an iPod or iPhone without Airplay or the WD100 dock. It can play from your iTunes library on your laptop, but as you have learned, your laptop has to be on. If you wish to stream without having your laptop on, you have 3 choices:
  1. Set up Airplay using an Airport Express. This will allow you to stream music and apps from your iPad. See the Airplay FAQ for details.
  2. Purchase the WD100 iPod dock. This will let you stream from a docked iPod/iPhone using your Sonos controller to control it. You can also push content from the iPod or iPhone apps. Note that to connect an iPad, you must purchase an inexpensive extension cable.
  3. House your iTunes library on an NAS drive. By far this is the most full featured option, giving you full control, with full quality streams with album art and info on the controller. Most people go with this option, because an NAS is inexpensive, low power and can be used for backups, photos and other uses besides music.
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 03:21 PM

Some people have reported success using the Sonos WD100 (http://sonos.com/shop/products/dock) with a short extension cable.

Never tried it myself thou.

Oops - jgatie beat me to it!
Old Aug 9th, 2011, 11:48 AM

Thanks both.
Old Sep 25th, 2012, 03:50 AM

Hey Guys... Thanks for your posts...I found my answer... Actually I was also searching for this.
Old Sep 27th, 2012, 02:30 AM

but i was told that if i connect an mp3 to one of the Sonos that has line in, then the mp3 is available to any of the sonos in teh system....
Is that not correct?
Old Sep 27th, 2012, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fekish View Post
but i was told that if i connect an mp3 to one of the Sonos that has line in, then the mp3 is available to any of the sonos in teh system....
Is that not correct?
Yes. Any analog source can be connected to a Sonos line-in.
Old Sep 27th, 2012, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fekish View Post
Is that not correct?
Yes it is correct but the OP was talking about (or implying at least) a wireless transfer of music, which isn't possible directly.

Tags
controller, ipad