Go Back   Sonos Forums > General Discussion

Old Aug 4th, 2011, 12:41 AM

Yesterday i received my Play:5 (S5) and did a sound comparison with my Play:3.
Both sound very good, but there is a difference. In my opinion the play:3 has a more solid, compact sound (midrange) and the play:5 has a more open/transparent sound with better high&low. I prefer Play:5 sound, but Play:3 for sure sounds good also.

But, sound is very personal, so if possible try to compare yourself. If not possible, rely on the messages in this thread. Very important is what you want to use your zoneplayer for.
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guric1van View Post
Whats this about? theres a rule that says you cant provide links to reviews? Have I missed something?
Let's just say there was some rather "over enthusiastic" promotion of a specific dealer which has been nipped in the bud.

The link in question wasn't actually a review but a point by point comparison of a few of the specifications (size, weight, etc.), all of which is freely available on sonos.com.

Cheers,

Keith

Last edited by Majik; Aug 4th, 2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 10:48 AM

But that was the point Keith, they wernt and arent available on Sonos . Com
Old Aug 13th, 2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker View Post
I found a good Comparison of a Sonos Play3 Vs Sonos Play5 but I am not allowed to link to it. Sorry Keith wasn't meaning to go against the rules just being too enthusiastic I guess. Regards Mike
1st post, wohoo! Any chance you can message me the links to the comparison of the 3 to 5. I'm just about to pull the trigger on getting my first sonos setup, which will go in the kitchen, but can't decide which would sound better. Also, does any one have any experience with 2 Play 3's vs a Zeppelin Air? I read the air has better sound than the single play 5, but apparently a paired 3 setup beats the air
Old Aug 14th, 2011, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzyboy View Post
1st post, wohoo! Any chance you can message me the links to the comparison of the 3 to 5. I'm just about to pull the trigger on getting my first sonos setup, which will go in the kitchen, but can't decide which would sound better. Also, does any one have any experience with 2 Play 3's vs a Zeppelin Air? I read the air has better sound than the single play 5, but apparently a paired 3 setup beats the air
I have only listened to an Air in a shop and I was very impressed.

I have recently set up two Play 3s in a stereo pair in my kitchen and they sound great - plenty of power and mid-bass, and the type of room filling, separated sound that you can only get by having two speakers a reasonable distance apart.

I still think the Air would beat the stereo Play 3s on power and bass, but not on overall sound. I guess it depends on individual priorities.

I also tried my S5s in stereo but they were too big for the room! I think you could fill a very big room with two of these, but you are talking about a £700 setup!

Last edited by Daveb975; Aug 14th, 2011 at 01:09 AM.
Old Aug 14th, 2011, 02:47 PM

Here is a comparison, similar to the originally posted link:

Code:
                PLAY:3                     PLAY:5
Speakers          3                          5
Amplifiers        3                          5
Weight            2.6 Kg                     4.2 Kg
Size              H132 x W268 x D160 mm      H217 x W365 x D123 mm
Line in           No                         Yes
Headphone socket  No                         Yes
Ethernet          1                          2
Wall mounting     1/4in thread mount hole    None
Cheers,

Keith
Old Aug 15th, 2011, 09:43 AM

I own both and did a side by side comparison, with both sitting on top of my bedroom dresser (both had loudness on). My perception is in line with the other posts here- The S5 has lows and highs that extend beyond what the Play3 can produce. When comparing side by side at similar volumes, the extended range of the 5 gives it more of a polished, “Hi-Fi smiley-face,” scooped-mids sound, with the 3 being more mid-focused.

My normal setup has both of these all-in-ones in my bedroom. The 5 is sitting on my bedroom dresser, and the 3 is mounted on the wall above the master bathroom mirror. Even with my perceived reduced-bass response of the Play 3 during the side by side comparison, I need to cut the bass quite a lot when used in the bathroom- there is bass to spare depending on where you place it.
Old Aug 15th, 2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMFMSB View Post
I own both and did a side by side comparison, with both sitting on top of my bedroom dresser (both had loudness on). My perception is in line with the other posts here- The S5 has lows and highs that extend beyond what the Play3 can produce. When comparing side by side at similar volumes, the extended range of the 5 gives it more of a polished, “Hi-Fi smiley-face,” scooped-mids sound, with the 3 being more mid-focused.

My normal setup has both of these all-in-ones in my bedroom. The 5 is sitting on my bedroom dresser, and the 3 is mounted on the wall above the master bathroom mirror. Even with my perceived reduced-bass response of the Play 3 during the side by side comparison, I need to cut the bass quite a lot when used in the bathroom- there is bass to spare depending on where you place it.
+1. I have an S5 and picked up two Play:3's since the price was too much to resist. I was expecting the Play:3 to sound the same as the Play:5, but not play as loud. After listening to the Play:3 I returned both and sucked up the extra couple hundred to get two Play:5's. I also found the SQ of the Play:5 to be a level above the Play:3. It was more than just less drivers.
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 03:45 AM

The Play 3 is targetted at people who are not willing or unable to invest in an S5/ZP or don't have the space if they want an all in one like the S5, but want the Sonos experience.

The brief time I had listening to the S3 compared to the S5 convinces me that the S5 has better dynamics in sound. So, ideally I would go for an S5. However, for our guest bedroom/office, I am considering the S3 stereo pair as it's good enough for what I want and for the frequency I or guests will use it.

If you can, I would always go for the stereo pairing of the S5 or S3. It makes such a big difference with your music experience.
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 05:49 PM

Hmmm ... I'm thinking maybe I'll just get an S5 for the kitchen and then later down the track get a ZP120 with a set of bookshelfs (something like Monitor Audio BX2's) for the lounge room.