Go Back   Sonos Forums > General Discussion

Old Jul 28th, 2011, 01:17 PM

Default Play:3 vs S5

Has anyone posted a comparison of the 2 portable devices. I understand that the S5 will be louder, but how much. Any other noteworthy details from Play:3 owners?
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 02:05 PM

The PLAY:5 is definitely louder than the PLAY:3 (no surprises). As a rought rule I would say at full volume both are very loud (too loud for me to be in the same room) but the PLAY:3 is about as loud at full volume as the PLAY:5 is at around 80% full volume.

The other thing I would say is the PLAY:5 has better (greater, more balanced) bass and lower mid range.

On the other hand, a stereo pair of PLAY:3s beats a single PLAY:5 for the extra stereo separation.

Cheers,

Keith
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 04:27 PM

I found a good Comparison of a Sonos Play3 Vs Sonos Play5 but I am not allowed to link to it. Sorry Keith wasn't meaning to go against the rules just being too enthusiastic I guess. Regards Mike

Last edited by miker; Jul 28th, 2011 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Rules
Old Jul 29th, 2011, 01:23 AM
Digital Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik View Post
The PLAY:5 is definitely louder than the PLAY:3 (no surprises). As a rought rule I would say at full volume both are very loud (too loud for me to be in the same room) but the PLAY:3 is about as loud at full volume as the PLAY:5 is at around 80% full volume.

The other thing I would say is the PLAY:5 has better (greater, more balanced) bass and lower mid range.

On the other hand, a stereo pair of PLAY:3s beats a single PLAY:5 for the extra stereo separation.

Cheers,

Keith
I agree with everything Keith has said. When comparing the two, I had the loudness set to on on the PLAY:3 and off on the PLAY:5.

It's getting some very good reviews and deservedly so IMO..
Old Jul 29th, 2011, 01:55 AM

Agree with all that's been mentioned already, however, I have a Play 3 in my kitchen, open plan, and an S5 at the opposite end of my kitchen diner, so effictively in the same open space, about 6m apart.

I listen to a lot of talk radio, 5 Live, Radio 2 (I'm at that age) and the Play 3 for speech, is superior. S5 is brilliant with music, but for me is a bit boomy with speech. Connect the two as a group, and it's a really room filling experience, if not in stereo.

Kinda wish I had a Play:3 in the bedroom, as the S5 up there at the moment is just a bit more power than is actually required.

HTH.

Chris
Old Jul 29th, 2011, 03:25 PM

Got my play3 today and very surprised how good it sounds..

Last edited by miker; Jul 29th, 2011 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 05:06 AM

Don't have the S5 to compare it to but the Play3 has great range...better than I expected. I'm pleased and will get more...
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 10:34 AM

Hello,
I was wondering about setting up two Play3s as stereo speakers in my living room, but for some reason I wasn't sure if that would work.

Thanks Majik for that suggestion!

Matthew
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewSchenker View Post
Hello,
I was wondering about setting up two Play3s as stereo speakers in my living room, but for some reason I wasn't sure if that would work.

Thanks Majik for that suggestion!
Yes, it works and works very well IMO.

Cheers,

Keith
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 12:43 PM

Keith,
Well, this is very interesting...

It would not be "true" stereo (in terms of right/left separation).

But I could get rid of the wires I'm having to run now to my ZonePlayer in the living room. I could then use the ZonePlayer elsewhere.

Thanks,
Matthew