Go Back   Sonos Forums > General Discussion

Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 08:27 AM

Default Sonos: Roadmap

I really wish the Sonos would lift the viel of secrecy with their items. I know Sonos likes to mimic the Apple way of marketing and syling, but I don't think it behooves them the same way that it does a company like Apple.

I am not saying that they need to spill every detail of their plan, but a high level road map and general conceptual outline might be nice. More direct feedback and user interaction might be nice as well.

I believe this could help us make more informed choices and benefits both the consumer and Sonos. For instance, I am on the cusp of buying three more Sonos products *OR* switching my system to Olive - because I have high resolution audio. Will this ever be supported? Additionally, they have an actual alarm clock - that looks and sounds phenomenal. Will Sonos ever do anything similar?

Anyhow, that's just my .02.
Old Sep 9th, 2011, 06:18 AM

I am in the same position.

I want to add some devices to my system but am hesitant because of the lack of hi-res support.

Alternative is throw it all out the door and go for squeezebox or Apple solutions, which I wouldn't be happy to do.

A decent roadmap or a statement would be great.
Old Sep 9th, 2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxie View Post
I am in the same position.

I want to add some devices to my system but am hesitant because of the lack of hi-res support.

Alternative is throw it all out the door and go for squeezebox or Apple solutions, which I wouldn't be happy to do.

A decent roadmap or a statement would be great.
I think that this is only fair to the user. I understand that they don't want to release "game changer" features - but knowing what they are thinking would be nice.

Or at least more forum interaction.
Old Sep 9th, 2011, 06:42 AM

This is the closest you'll get:
http://thisismynext.com/2011/07/20/s...ater-invasion/
Sonos is pretty much like apple, they don't show anything until it is ready to hit the shops.
Old Sep 9th, 2011, 08:47 AM

I am ocassionally frustrated by companies' lack of roadmaps but completely disagree on their necessity. Apple & Sonos seem to be doing just fine without them. I mean heck why not just ask for their mergers & acquisitions strategy as well? I re-read the interview ( thanks Avee ) and that clairity of purpose is extraordinary. I don't know what's involved in HD audio for sonos but if that's a deal breaker for you, yeah Olive is great stuff. And I know someone accepting Sonos kit donations !

Last edited by dinkeldorf; Sep 9th, 2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old Sep 9th, 2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkeldorf View Post
I am ocassionally frustrated by companies' lack of roadmaps but completely disagree on their necessity. Apple & Sonos seem to be doing just fine without them. I mean heck why not jet ask for their mergers & acquisitions strategy as well?
Yes, exactly.

I've covered this before, several times.

The trouble is, if Sonos said " we haven't discounted hires support in the future, but don't have an immediate plan to implement it", would that satisfy people?

I suspect not. However, that's about the most concrete thing any company can say until they have a specific feature in active development.

People seem to think that companies like Sonos have a fixed "roadmap" detailing every tiny development mapped out for years to come. They don't!

They may have an internal plan covering major developments (like new devices), but this won't go into the details of specific features, like hi res support, better replaygain, or making the controller app "skinnable".

And any development plan more than 6-9 months in the future is subject to change. At best it's a "wish list". It's not something that can be communicated to customers with any degree of confidence. At best Sonos could tell us what is in the next release a few months in advance of that release, but that's not what people are asking for.

It isn't practical for any company to give a future time-scale on specific features and it's not sensible for a customer to expect that they can.

Cheers,

Keith