Go Back   Sonos Forums > Getting Started with Sonos

Old May 30th, 2011, 04:46 AM

Default Slow reaction times

I have 3 zp 120 units and 2 zp 90 units all up and running. Problem is 1 of the zp120 units is very slow to react to every thing such as volume, or anything else I choose in the musc menu. once the command is received, it works fine. what can I do to fix this or is it defective?
Old May 30th, 2011, 05:04 AM

Midnightsun,

First post! Welcome to the forums.

Most likely this is a wireless issue. Please describe your network for us. Be thorough with your list (include printers, computers, Blu-ray, etc.). What is wired? What is wireless? Which model router are you using?
Old May 30th, 2011, 05:45 AM

Thanks for the welcome. Maybe I should elaborate a little more. The unit in question is balcony as in outdoors where my wifi signal is very weak. I even placed the sonos outdoor to rectify but no luck. I assumed the sonos units acted as repeaters and the wifi or "mesh" was extended? If a good wifi signal is required, then yes this is most likely my problem. If I add a wifi extender to cover the outdoor area will this fix it?

Network is rather elaborate. Time capsule is my router and I have remote cameras, remote aquarium controller, indigo lighting control for the house and a HP wifi printer and just recently through in the amazing Sonos sysytem after my 18 year old B&O system died. All seem to work flawlessly except this one lonely ZP120.
Old May 30th, 2011, 06:10 AM

Sonos doesn't use WiFi. The two ignore each other, but can cause interference if their radio channels overlap. Make sure the TC is set to a different channel to Sonos, choosing from 1, 6 or 11. Don't use '40MHz'/'wide' channels if offered.

Presumably you're trying to use an iPhone/iPod/iPad or Android controller, in which case a good WiFi signal is required as well as a good Sonos wireless connection to the ZP120. If the Sonos connection is good and WiFi is poor, a simple expedient is to connect an additional WAP to the ZP120. SonosNet will look after the backhaul from the WAP to the TC.

If the Sonos wireless connection is poor, it's a different matter. If you have a CR200 controller you can test for signal strength at the outdoor ZP's location, otherwise send a system diagnostic to Sonos and follow up with a support request citing the diag confirmation number.