Go Back   Sonos Forums > Internet Radio

Old May 25th, 2011, 03:49 AM

Default MOG vs Rhapsody, any early opinions?

Signed up for the MOG beta, and so far so good. I haven't done any A|B testing to see if 320 streaming is noticeable (plus the material I was listening to was from the 40's/50's last night, so tough to tell a difference!)

But for those of you audiophiles, can you tell a significant difference?

Some spot checking on library availability actually showed a bit more availability in the MOG catalog for a few albums I was missing in Rhapsody, except 1 or 2 that seemed exclusive to Rhapsody for now.

I like Rhapsody's iPad and PC client software (MOG is all web based on Windows for now, and has an iphone client; iPad coming soon I think?)

Any other opinions?
Old May 25th, 2011, 06:52 AM

Default MOG vs Rhapsody

Here is my feeling from only a day of playing with MOG.

MOG needs subgenres!

Finding new music on MOG by browsing around sucks. On rhapsody when we are having stir fry at home I can decide to drill down world music and put on some Chinese Pop music on a whim. Try finding top Chinese Pop on MOG. Not gonna happen. I have found some amazing stuff by browsing around Rhapsody's subgenres.

That said however, Sonos and Rhapsody need to figure out how to group your library with the higher genre levels. Browsing my own library in Sonos by Genre is an exercise in frustration. If I want to see all my Jazz albums forget it. MOG is no better since there seems to be no way to look through your favorites by genre.

Rhapsody needs higher bitrates!

If I am going to use a cloud/streaming service for most of my new music it needs to have high quality audio. Perhaps if one is only using the service to find new music to purchase then the lower bitrates are fine. However, I believe that with these new services that there is little to no reason to purchase individual albums anymore.

Not sure if I am going to keep MOG or not. I have a strong feeling that MOG's higher bitrates will force Rhapsody's hand and we will see higher Rhapsody rates sooner rather than later.

The first service to give me MOG's bitrates and Rhapsody's subgenres will take my money.
Old May 25th, 2011, 03:07 PM

I'm loving the simplicity of the "artist only radio" and the "Similar Artist Radio"

I'm spending plenty of time playing around with it and I think I'll be keeping it.
Old May 27th, 2011, 07:02 AM

I have restarted my rhapsody account for $10/month and found a huge improvement over the suck that was napster.
Been intrigued by MOG but can anyone give me a rundown and opinions of the iOS app for mog vs rhapsody?

I think (correct if wrong) but for $10 both rhapsody and MOG gives streaming and iOS, but rhapsody limited to one mobile account?

Does anyone know if rhapsody still honors the $5 streaming only option?

Thx!!
Old Jun 28th, 2011, 10:56 AM

I agree with Beernut, I really liked MOG, but as of now I am keeping Rhapsody. I could DEFINITELY tell the difference in sound quality on MOG vs Rhap, especially on my home theater ,but the MOG user interface is horrible.

I think though that for the money difference ($35 a quarter on Rhap) vs ($5 a month for MOG) that unless Rhapsody gets higher quality SOON, I will be forced to switch to MOG
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 10:01 AM

There is a noticeable difference in audio quality between MOG and Rhapsody.

MOG gets my vote.
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 05:52 AM

Default MOG for me (so far)

I agree with the others. MOG's sound quality is the best. Although library limited (in my opinion for older tunes), I do like how quickly I can find and build a playlist.
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 11:46 AM

Smile Sound Quality of Rhapsody

I have Rhapsody, and it downloads DRM .wmp files at 151 kbps.

I also have some box sets (CD's), and I ripped those files at 320 ACC or .m4p.

Ok, I can tell the difference between the two in sound quality... but I use a Soundblaster X-Fi, and with the right tweaking, the difference is barely noticable.

320 kbps .m4p is more dynamic, but only in a side by side comparison can I tell.

-The biggest, and very easy, tweak is to use the X-Fi's "crystalizer" option. which adds, on the fly, more treble to the higher notes.
Old Dec 30th, 2011, 10:03 PM

Default MOG audio quality is great

Just signed up for the 14-day trial, initial impressions:

1) audio quality is excellent, not sure how much of their library is running at 320Kbps but in a random selection of Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, and a few other oldies the sound was impressive. As one example, Lonely is the Word off Sabbath's Heaven and Hell album can sound like mud with poor bit rates. Heavy on the bass guitar and some great crashing cymbals, sounds awful if not coded well.

2) selection appears to be on par with Rhapsody. No problem finding lots of music from the artists above, something Rhapsody lacks in some cases. Haven't spent enough time to quantify this yet, just happy with initial searches.
Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 06:56 AM

Noob here on the forums and to Sonos. I have a trial for both MOG and Rhapsody. I've had Spotify in the past, but I think for Sonos, either MOG or Rhapsody is the way to go.

I'm still researching the higher bit rate topic between MOG and Rhapsody. Strictly speaking only on streaming from the Play:3 and Play:5, I cannot tell the difference between the two services.

Does Sonos alter stream quality? Do I need to enable the higher bit rate setting somewhere? Perhaps I need to find the right track to compare...

Anyway, in terms of the service as a whole, I think Rhapsody has the advantage for me. I like discovering new music, which is the main point of failure for Spotify. With MOG and Rhapsody, you can create Artist channels. However, with Rhapsody, Genres can be explored in addition to having a list of Rhapsody Channels.