Go Back   Sonos Forums > Getting Started with Sonos

Old Apr 28th, 2011, 07:12 AM

Default Set up of shared music folders

Hello all, after a little trouble I've got my s5 and bridge up and running.

I want to stream from a QNAP TS-209 NAS, but the Sonos software seems to enforce a path structure of Server\share

In the case of the QNAP, it stores music in the server\qmultimedia share by default.

On my device I have several subfolders containing music, and some duplicated content.

So
1) Am I missing something obvious that would allow me to specify \\Server\share\subfolder as the path?

2) If not, is this very basic level of folder selection flexibility on any development roadmap at the moment?

Even better would be to consider about how products like Google's Picasa manage their include / exclude folder rules/ UI and scan frequencies. Far better than this implementation.

Otherwise I'm really enjoying my setup and will be adding some more S5s.
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 07:44 AM

Welcome to the forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crell View Post
1) Am I missing something obvious that would allow me to specify \\Server\share\subfolder as the path?
You're not missing anything. Sonos will only allow you to specify the root of the share, i.e. \\Server\share. It will index anything it finds in the share.

If Sonos encounters multiple files with the same tag values, it will index only one and it's not possible to predict which. If such files are in different formats -- lossy and lossless for example -- this tends to produce confusion.

Your best option would be to create a new share on the QNAP specifically for Sonos.

Quote:
2) If not, is this very basic level of folder selection flexibility on any development roadmap at the moment?
Sonos don't comment on future development plans. Features appear when they appear.

Quote:
Even better would be to consider about how products like Google's Picasa manage their include / exclude folder rules/ UI and scan frequencies.
Presumably Sonos decided to opt for simplicity. Users have evidently managed to exclude Sonos from indexing certain subfolders by setting appropriate access rights.

The index update can either be performed manually or automatically at a set time each day.

Tags
nas, qnap, share