Go Back   Sonos Forums > General Discussion

Old Apr 15th, 2011, 07:32 AM

Default Transfer songs from Ipad to NAS and playback through Sonos?

I'm planning to buy a Sonos system, however there is one question remaining that I want to answer before I make the purchase;

I would like to be able to use my Ipad or Iphone to buy songs through Itunes and afterwards play these bought songs through the Sonos system (with Ipad as a remote). Is it possible to transfer the songs I bought on the Ipad directly to a NAS (which would be connected to Sonos) so I can play them through Sonos without having to get out of my couch and sync the Ipad to a laptop or something...

Thank you in advance!

BTW: I posed the same question in the Dutch section of this Forum as well, but since there are a lot more people in this section I figured to post it here as well, please forgive me!

Dimitri
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 07:52 AM

If you want Sonos to index the music into its library you'll have to get the files to a network share somehow. Under normal circumstances it would be via sync with iTunes. Once the files are on the NAS Sonos can update its library index.

If you don't want/need to transfer files to the NAS you can if you wish play music directly from the iPad/iPhone by:
- using a Sonos Wireless Dock
- using Airplay to an Airport Express connected to a ZonePlayer's Line-In
- using Bluetooth to a Bluetooth receiver connected to a ZonePlayer's Line-In
- using the headphone outlet to a ZonePlayer's Line-In
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 08:02 AM

Thanks for you answer.

It is not my intention to store my songs on the Ipad and play them from there. I want the songs to be stored on a NAS and then play them through Sonos (with Ipad as remote).

So the problem at hand is:
How do I transfer songs that are on my Ipad (for instance when I just bought a couple of songs using the Itunes store on the Ipad) directly to a NAS?

The 'long' way is to sync the library of the Ipad to a laptop and then sync the laptop with the NAS. But I'm looking for a shortcut: Ipad --> NAS

Is it possible?

Greetings,
Dimitri
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 08:08 AM

If there's a shortcut, it's in Apple territory not Sonos.

All Sonos cares about is finding music files in the library's network shares. How they got there is not its concern.
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 08:09 AM

Default Generally, No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri Van Soens View Post
Is it possible to transfer the songs I bought on the Ipad directly to a NAS (which would be connected to Sonos) so I can play them through Sonos without having to get out of my couch and sync the Ipad to a laptop or something...
Dimitri,

The short answer is "no". You cannot directly transfer your recently purchased iTunes music file from the iPad to a NAS without sync'ing the iDevice.

As far as I know, iPads cannot transfer music files (which are, essentially, data files) wirelessly.

One way or another, you'll need to connect the iPad to a PC/Mac to move the physical music file. Usually, this means sync'ing it to your iTunes, but with some creative knowledge, it can be done as a straight file transfer (if you know how to 'find' the file on the iPad).

You can play the music over Sonos directly from the iPad if you have any of the below:
1) The Sonos wireless iPod dock with an extender cable for the iPad
2) An Apple Airport Express hooked into any Sonos ZonePlayer
3) Any other way to drive AirPlay into Sonos (Airport Extreme or the upcoming AirPlay 'hack' see: http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente..._computer.html )

There are some iPad Apps that allow for wireless data sharing. See these links:
http://www.theipadguide.com/content/...er-look/717770
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dropc...358310121?mt=8
The hitch is that you still need to locate the physical music file buried within the iDevice's arcane file-structure for music. This may not be a simple task.

A Google search will get you more information. Continue to look over time as this 'issue' will eventually be 'solved' outside of Apple's purview.

Do not expect Apple to make it easy/possible, support this feature, or admit it can even be accomplished. Initial solutions may require one to 'jailbreak' their iDevice. I do not foresee Apple allowing an iTMS sold App to directly allow wirelessly transferring music files between computers/iDevices/HDs and other storage hardware. Look to the Apple 'hacker community' for solutions.

Best of Luck
1x CR200 - 2x LG Optimus Zone 2 - 2x iPhone3G (now obsolete)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 4 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Buegie; Apr 15th, 2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 06:24 AM

Default Same setup here. Expect ease of situation with iOS 5

@Dimitri Van Soens:
I have exactly the same setup and wishes I expect the situation to become a bit easier with iOS 5 because I expect the "automatically sync music to all devices" to be available outside the US as well. This features ensures that music that you have purchased with one device will automatically synced to all other iOS devices. So you would still need a PC or Mac but you could simply let it run with iTunes started. Then, if you purchase a song with the iPad, it gets synced on the PC running iTunes as well. That iTunes on the PC can have its music library stored on the NAS and thus the song is almost instanteniously on the NAS. Yes, of course it is a shame that the PC needs to be up and running. I would love an easier solution as well. If the iPod App on the iPad could access an iTunes Server in read and write mode, everything would already be fine because ReadyNAS from Netgear e.g. as an iTunes Server running. I wish us both the best for a solution on this topic.