Go Back   Sonos Forums > General Discussion

Old Mar 30th, 2011, 10:05 AM

Default How many tracks does Sonos think I have?

I added some music to my (already large) collection, and now I can't add ANYTHING to a queue. I'm unable to play any music at all. I'm guessing that I've reached the Sonos limit; something close to 65000, reduced some unspecific amount because of metadata, filenames, etc.

But how do I find out how much is indexed?

And do I REALLY have to only share from whole NAS volumes?

I want to be able to pick directories with in a share. Given that there's a track count limit, I really don't think I should have to actually copy/delete files to get this working again - I should simply be able to move files in and out of a folder.

Keith
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 05:50 PM

I haven't reached the 65,000 track limitation, but I don't think that Sonos behaves as you report when it reaches its limit.

Browse to http://#.#.#.#:1400/support/review (where the #s are the ip address of one of your zones). Then open up one of the zones, and go to Track Summary.

The COUNT value is your number of tracks indexed. You can't exceed the STORE SIZE or ENTRIES USED values either. (Ignore CONFLICTS; it is benign).

You don't have to share the whole NAS. You create a top level directory, or several top level directories, and then share those.

If your system seems jammed up, you could remove and then re-add the shares via the Sonos desk top controller. This will force Sonos to completely rebuild all its indices to your music.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 4 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 06:24 PM

@thatkeith I just went thru the same thing,was told a MAXIMUM of 10000 tracks(even though I had over 12000 before mine starting acting up),I was also having problems of saving,(read my other post on this topic) spoke to a tier 2 tech directly and they closed the matter saying I had too many tracks,you are very lucky to be able to have 65000 tracks.I have all their emils saved stating there was issues but yet nothing was done to fix it.This is the 2nd time I have read that sonos can save up 65000 tracks.
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren br View Post
@thatkeith I just went thru the same thing,was told a MAXIMUM of 10000 tracks(even though I had over 12000 before mine starting acting up)
The 10,000 limitation is for total tracks in all of your Sonos playlists combined. These are the playlists formed when you choose "Save" after selecting 'View Queue' on the Controller. This is a separate limitation from the overall library limit, which is currently 65,000 (a limit that affects several regular forum users). Obviously, it is possible to have more than the 10,000 tracks in your Sonos playlists, just as it is possible to have 65,000 tracks in your library but none in the playlists.

Note that it is not mandatory to keep your entire library in Sonos playlists. You can pick directly from the library, or use imported playlists which do not have the 10,000 track total limitation.

Quote:
This is the 2nd time I have read that sonos can save up 65000 tracks.
It's all over this forum, and there's several threads discussing how to live with and workaround that issue.

Last edited by NoBoB; Mar 30th, 2011 at 09:22 PM. Reason: left out a word
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBoB View Post
The 10,000 limitation is for total tracks in all of your Sonos playlists combined. These are the playlists formed when you choose "Save" after selecting 'View Queue' on the Controller. This is a separate limitation from the overall library limit, which is currently 65,000 (a limit that affects several regular forum users). Obviously, it is possible to have more than the 10,000 tracks in your Sonos playlists, just as it is possible to have 65,000 tracks in your library but none in the playlists.

Note that it is not mandatory to keep your entire library in Sonos playlists. You can pick directly from the library, or use imported playlists which do not have the 10,000 track total limitation.

It's all over this forum, and there's several threads discussing how to live with and workaround that issue.
I am new to Sonos and have close to 65,000 tracks(lots of Various Artists compilations) and have been very concerned about the "limit" but your explanation of playlists affecting the figure has eased my worries as I have never saved a playlist. I know my music library inside out and my CR200 enables me to locate anything I need relatively quickly.
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 01:19 AM

On the question of limits (which is pretty off-topic to thatkeith's issue which is now being followed up on a different thread):

max number of tracks in library: 65000 (subject to softer limits on STORE or ENTRIES depending on tag string composition)
max aggregate number of tracks in Sonos playlists (i.e. stored in the ZPs): 10000
max aggregate number of tracks in iTunes playlists: 40000

max aggregate number of tracks in M3U imported playlists: very large indeed

Each M3U playlist counts as just ONE track out of the 65000 library limit, and each playlist can contain any number of tracks without impacting that figure. However there is a practical restriction on how may tracks can be loaded from an M3U into the queue. The queue may well have a hard limit of 65000 tracks, but loading is more likely to be curtailed by what appears to be a 15 second time limit on fetching the M3U from disk.
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 08:39 AM

I guess it is off-topic in a sense, but it is very interesting. I haven't counted exactly how many tracks I actually have, and I was surprised that I might have hit that 65K barrier. I don't think I'm quite at that point - and I have since proven that the problem isn't there anyway.

Still an interesting discussion - thanks. :-)

k
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryM View Post
I haven't reached the 65,000 track limitation, but I don't think that Sonos behaves as you report when it reaches its limit.

Browse to http://#.#.#.#:1400/support/review (where the #s are the ip address of one of your zones). Then open up one of the zones, and go to Track Summary.

The COUNT value is your number of tracks indexed. You can't exceed the STORE SIZE or ENTRIES USED values either. (Ignore CONFLICTS; it is benign).

You don't have to share the whole NAS. You create a top level directory, or several top level directories, and then share those.

If your system seems jammed up, you could remove and then re-add the shares via the Sonos desk top controller. This will force Sonos to completely rebuild all its indices to your music.
Barry,
in addition to
x.x.x.x:1400/support/review
x.x.x.x:1400/status
what else is there that I can see with a browser? Where is a complete listing of the "guts" of the sonos system?