Go Back   Sonos Forums > Getting Started with Sonos

Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 11:05 AM

Default Unable to play music from library

Hi there,

Some days ago I purchased Sonos system. Thanks for it, it is super But at the moment I only manage to listen to internet radio. After many efforts I managed to add my music on my pc ( windows) to Sonos. Now I can see all my music on Sonos desktop. But, I still cannot play my music. when i try to do it, it says following: ' unable to play "xxxxxx" ( song name), cannot connect to xxxxx ( my computer name) because the server cannot be found'.

How can i solve this problem? I'm getting frustrated...
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 11:23 AM

Welcome to the forums.

Please describe your network for us. Include everything. What make/model of router is it? How does everything connect: wired or wireless? What version of Windows are you running?
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 11:47 AM

Thanks for fast reply!

I'm using windows XP, 2002 home edition. My system consist of: Sonos zp 90 as router at the moment (wired to adsl), zp120 in my living room ( 12 feet from zp90), S5 in my kitchen (10 feet from zp90). S5 and zp120 wireless connection. My pc wlan connection to adsl.

Adsl is model BeWan iBOX V1.0, BeWan IAD ARV 4510NPW-A-LF-L3.

Music files are mostly MP3.

does this help?
Thanks!
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 11:56 AM

If I understand things correctly, your PC is connected via WiFi. Although streaming via WiFi is not officially supported by Sonos, it will have the best chance if you organise things so that WiFi is not fighting with Sonos' own wireless.

Set the router's WiFi to a different channel to Sonos, restricting your WiFi choice to 1, 6 or 11. If your router offers 40MHz/'wide' channels for Wireless N then disable these and stick with 20MHz channel width.
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 12:48 PM

I tried almost every channel but it didn't help.

I didn't find a place where to change 40MHz to 20MHz, so maybe it is using 20MHz?
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 12:59 PM

I suggest you temporarily wire the PC to the ZP90's second Ethernet port.

If that doesn't work then restart your whole network, powering everything off and restarting in order:

- router
- wired Sonos devices
- wireless Sonos devices
- NAS (if any), wired computers and other wired devices
- WiFi connected devices

Wait for each device to reboot fully before moving to the next.

If it still gives problems then the issue is possibly in the PC itself - firewall etc - and we'll need to take a different approach.

As a matter of interest what wireless channels are Sonos and WiFi currently using?

Last edited by ratty; Mar 22nd, 2011 at 01:04 PM. Reason: restart
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 01:30 PM

Sonos is using channel 11 and wifi is set as "automatic", but I manually tried almost every channel between 1 and 12 earlier. I will try to reboot& restart my network and everything attached to it.

Anyway, I need stop for now and continue tomorrow.
Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 02:48 AM

Don't leave a WiFi on 'automatic'. They often fail to detect Sonos and will change to a channel which conflicts. If Sonos is on ch 11, I suggest you manually fix the WiFi to 1 or 6.

If that doesn't help then try wiring the PC via Ethernet as suggested and take it from there.
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 09:29 AM

Hi again,

I changed the wifi channel to 1 and I powered down everything + rebooted everything. I also connected the zp90 to my pc using ethernet. But is still not working.
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 10:07 AM

It sounds like a problem with the PC. Try disabling the firewall and see if that helps.

If it's still no good, go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services. Look down the list for the Server service and make sure its status is Started.