Go Back   Sonos Forums > General Discussion

Old Mar 14th, 2011, 11:55 PM

Default Sonos Connection Problems

My Sonos ayatem (ZP120,ZP90 and S5) have been working fine for almost a year. I got home last night and the controller (CR200) had dropped all but one zone and the desktop controller (running on Winodws 7 Home premium 64 bit) had dropped all zones.

I tried reconnecting both the CR200 and the desktop controller and had problems, weven after resetting both and doing a factory reset on the CR200.

I reset everything else. Modem, router, Wired ZP120, Wireless Sonos, laptops and then NAS (MyWorldBook) one at a time.

The Sonos Controller then found the three zones but it won't connect to the internet to play the radio ("unable to browse music - there was a problem connecting to Radio Time") or navigate to the NAS ("Unable to play [song] cannot connect to //MYWORLDBOOK/Public because the server cannot be found").

The NAS is working as the drives are mapped (I remapped them (to the same letters) just to double check) and the laptop can access the files.

(I am not convinced it is purely a NAS issue as the radio and Spotify don't work either.)

I was therefore going to remap the shares and in the past have found it easiest to do this with the Desktop Controller. However the Desktop Controller won't find any Sonos components. I have tried connecting to each of the three but with no sucess!

HELP!
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hierophant View Post
I reset everything else. Modem, router, Wired ZP120, Wireless Sonos, laptops and then NAS (MyWorldBook) one at a time.
If you power-cycled each item individually, then do a full restart of the network. Power everything off - i.e. all off at the same time - and then restart in order:

- modem
- router
- wired Sonos devices
- wireless Sonos devices
- NAS, wired computers and other wired devices
- WiFi connected devices

Wait for each device to reboot fully before moving to the next.

If that doesn't clear the problem, look to see whether your router has sneakily auto-selected a new WiFi channel. Fix your WiFi to 1, 6 or 11 - one which Sonos doesn't use. Avoid using 40MHz/wide channels in Wireless N.

Beyond that, look at the About function in your CR200. If the IP addresses of your Sonos devices are of the form 169.254.x.x then things are more serious and your Sonos system has lost touch with the router. In that case try wiring a different unit.

Last edited by ratty; Mar 15th, 2011 at 12:49 AM.
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 11:56 AM

The Hierophant,

I suggest that you refrain from using the factory reset procedure unless asked to do so by SONOS support or a very senior forum member. Factory reset will usually not cure this sort of issue and diagnostic data will be destroyed that could have helped to identify the root cause of the issue.
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 12:14 PM

Just had similar problems ... did the reboot devices and changed channels and things were working again. Although I haven't spent enough time with it to make sure it's back to normal Sonos functionality.

Luckily - problem occurred while I was on phone with support and they were able to see what was going on.

Interesting that this is a second similar issue. Anyone else having same problems?

See string titled: "Help – Sonos problems playing music, zones disappearing, upnp error 1001, more"
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post
If you power-cycled each item individually, then do a full restart of the network. Power everything off - i.e. all off at the same time - and then restart in order:

- modem
- router
- wired Sonos devices
- wireless Sonos devices
- NAS, wired computers and other wired devices
- WiFi connected devices

Wait for each device to reboot fully before moving to the next.
Sorry that is what I meant. I have done this.

Quote:
If that doesn't clear the problem, look to see whether your router has sneakily auto-selected a new WiFi channel. Fix your WiFi to 1, 6 or 11 - one which Sonos doesn't use. Avoid using 40MHz/wide channels in Wireless N.
My Sonos is on 1 and the wireless is 13. Not much intereference on 1 either.

Quote:
Beyond that, look at the About function in your CR200. If the IP addresses of your Sonos devices are of the form 169.254.x.x then things are more serious and your Sonos system has lost touch with the router. In that case try wiring a different unit.
Looks to be this!

Controller is 169.254.39.86
ZP90 (wired) is 169.254.78.141
etc

How did this happen and do I really need to just wire a different unit or reset everything?!?!?
Old Mar 16th, 2011, 12:02 AM

It means you are not getting an IP address from your router. You should check that DHCP is enabled on the router.

Also try another cable between the ZP120 and the router and try to use different ports on the ZP120. If that doesn't work, temporarily try to hook up another player to the router and see whether that fixes things.
Old Mar 16th, 2011, 11:26 AM

Thanks for the suggestions; but so far nothing has worked.

I have checked my router settings - Dynamic DHCP Client is enabled.

I have tried connecting all three units to the router. None result in the Sonos system being given an IP address other than 192.254.x.x.

Help!
Old Mar 16th, 2011, 11:55 AM

Your router should be a DHCP server, not a client. Check whether you have a setting for that.

Is the rest of your network ok? Do you use fixed IP addresses for other equipment?

Possibly Sonos is not able to communicate due to either a faulty port on the ZP or your router, or due to a faulty cable. Are the lights on the ethernet ports flashing on both ends?
Old Mar 16th, 2011, 12:14 PM

Hmmmm good point.

Everything else works fine - including the laptop I am posting this from. Will investigate the router settings and see if I can change it.

I'm not using fixed IP addresses and never have. Everything is allocated by the router/modem.

EDIT: It is the WAN port that is set to DHCP Client. The LAN ports (to which the Sonos is connected) is set to "DHCP: ON". So maybe it isn't that after all.

Last edited by The Hierophant; Mar 16th, 2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old Mar 16th, 2011, 12:24 PM

Default DHCP Client?

If your router is set to have DHCP turned off...it might be because your cable modem is acting as the DHCP server. (Therefore your router is acting as a wireless access point and switch only, not actuially as a "router".)

If this is the case, your cable modem may have a limit on the number of IPs it will assign...