Go Back   Sonos Forums > General Discussion

Old Dec 29th, 2010, 08:02 AM

Default Losing connection

I have a ZoneBridge 100, Controller 200, and one ZonePlayer S5 and all have been working perfectly for a year. I introduced an Apple iPad and iPod Touch to my WiFi on Christmas and I have intermittently been losing ZonePlayer connections since. I suspect interference with the Apple devices, what can I do to resolve this?
Old Dec 29th, 2010, 08:56 AM

Check that the router's WiFi is on a different channel to Sonos. Restrict your choice to 1, 6 or 11 to avoid channel overlaps. If the router is a Wireless N device, disable 40MHz/wide channels.

If that doesn't help, make sure your router is able to provide enough IP addresses for all the devices now on your network and reset your network. Power everything off and restart in order:

- modem (if separate)
- router
- wired Sonos devices
- wireless Sonos devices
- NAS (if you have one)
- wired computers
- WiFi devices
- anything else

Wait for each device to reboot fully before moving to the next.
Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 04:21 PM

Thanks for the advice ratty. I did exactly has you said and so far all is working fine.
Old Nov 29th, 2012, 11:28 PM

Default Your tip works excellent!

I would also like to send a thanks for this excellent tip. I re-designed the Wireless channels (1,6,11) for my Wireless accesspoints, and disabled all N-support (doesn't need that speed anyway).

Now the Sonos systems works perfect without a glitch, and the rest of my wifi-network aswell.

I would like to point out another tip when others redesign their home-Wifi network.
Remember to separate your WIFI-router/APs so that their channels are as far from each other as possible. For example. If you have one AP on channel 1 and a Sonos device close to that, then have the Sonos on channel 6 or the best 11 (because 1 and 11 is the furthest number away from each other). Then think about your entire home-Wifi network in that same design-planning-manner.
Make a small map on a paper and plan carefully if you have many Ap's and Sonos, devices.

You do not have to plan what channel your Smartphone, xPad, laptop or PC have, because they adapt to what channel is closest for the moment, and you want that function for example when you move around in the building (probably this is obvious for most of y'all)