Go Back   Sonos Forums > Getting Started with Sonos

Old Dec 20th, 2010, 11:27 PM

Thanks - I'll find another router!
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 02:34 AM

Have you tested the router Netgear CG3100? I couldnt find it in the list?
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 05:09 AM
Sonos Support Team

Hello Anddreas,

I do not believe you will have any issues with the Netgear CG3100. We have not tested this model Router in our lab. We only test routers, switches, etc. when we see a trend in customers reporting similar issues with a specific product. I was able to search through or customer ticket base for that model and have not had any results of that model Router having any issues with Sonos.

Best,
Gordon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 4 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 4 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old Dec 24th, 2010, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post
Thanks for the heads up Gordon.

That explains why the iController doesn't work, but I think Anddreas was also saying that with the S5 operating wirelessly he doesn't see it from a wired SDC?

Anddreas,

Can you confirm whether or not the Mac was wired when you attempted to use the S5 wirelessly?

A workaround for the EPC compatibility problem would be to disable its own WiFi and use a simple Wireless Access Point instead, such as an Edimax EW-7416AP.
Ratty, Could explain how to do this, ie disable its own Wifi and hook up something like the above.

I also have this router and it is a pain not being able to get the most from my Sonos equipment.

Thanks
Old Dec 24th, 2010, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whelzer View Post
Ratty, Could explain how to do this, ie disable its own Wifi and hook up something like the above.
I don't know the EPC router but it should be as simple as accessing its config pages via a browser and turning off its WiFi.

Then all you'd need to do is to plug a separate WiFi access point in. I linked to a suggested model in my earlier post. You'd need to configure the WAP beforehand with WiFi channel, security key etc, which may entail temporarily wiring it directly to a PC. Its setup instructions should make this clear.

Be sure to check that the WAP doesn't have its DHCP server running, if it has one.
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 03:14 AM

Default Sonos works with separate wireless router

I attached a Belkin Share N300 Wireless N+ Router to the Cisco epc2425 modem and Sonos is now working perfectly with the PC and iPhone controllers.

The wireless range of the Belkin is far superior to that of the Cisco router.

Didnt have the option of replacing the Cisco box as the modem has to be provisioned by our cable provider (UPC) and they do not offer any alternative.
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmn View Post
The wireless range of the Belkin is far superior to that of the Cisco router.
I think anything is far superior to Cisco!
Old Dec 23rd, 2011, 02:10 AM

Hi,

Just purchased the Play 5 and ZB and went to set her up but no luck as I am with UPC aswell. I probably should have looked at this forum before setting up...anyhow.

I'm a bit of a technophobe so is it just as easy as purchasing another wireless router like the Belkin and hooking that upto the Cisco router. Is there any configuration involved?
Old Dec 23rd, 2011, 10:21 AM

maczillas,

I believe the particular issues with the EPC2425 might be resolved through a firmware upgrade on the devices. However, if you're looking to pick up a secondary router it should be about as simple as connecting another router to the Cisco as though the EPC were just a modem (one connection from EPC into the WAN of the new router) and then going from there (what's referred to as a "Double-NAT"). Let us know if you have any other questions!

-Clay
Old Dec 23rd, 2011, 03:09 PM

Thanks Clay,

Newbie to all this so I'll try with a new router!