Go Back   Sonos Forums > Digital Expert

Old Oct 10th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Digital Expert

Default line-in has 2-3 seconds delay

Is there any setting that can help me to fix the 2-3 seconds delay when using Sonos Line-in feature? I mean, there is a 2-3 seconds delay between the actual output of the source and the sonos sending the signal to the speakers. which makes it unusable as I am connecting an electronic drum set and one requires immediate feedback. what causes such a long delay and is there anything one can do to fix it or is this a design problem of the sonos system?

UPDATE: I changed music compression mode to "uncompressed" or to "automatic" and now the delay is about 750 to 500 ms... much better, but still unusable for this type of application (playing music). any help appreciated

ZP 100

thanks much

Last edited by lsalazarg; Oct 10th, 2010 at 01:39 PM.
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 01:39 PM

Sonos needs to convert the input to digital send it over the network then convert this back to analog this takes time 750 ms is the best it will do
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsalazarg View Post
UPDATE: I changed music compression mode to "uncompressed" or to "automatic" and now the delay is about 750 to 500 ms... much better, but still unusable for this type of application (playing music). any help appreciated
With Line-In set to "uncompressed" the delay should drop to around 70ms. However for tight sync requirements of the type you describe this may still be too much.

Unfortunately all packetised digital transmission over an unsynchronised connection has some delay. Some point-to-point wireless links, such as Audioengine's W1, might have lower latency and be more suitable?
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 04:11 AM

Hi all,

How i can change the line in options from compressed to uncompressed?, i was looking for but i don't find this option.

regards
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgegalve@gmail.com View Post
How i can change the line in options from compressed to uncompressed?, i was looking for but i don't find this option.
Go to File>Preferences>Advanced in the desktop controller and set Line-In encoding to Uncompressed. You can also find this option via any of the handheld controllers.
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 07:29 AM

when you say the (now small) delay is still too much, may i assume you mean because the original source is playing AND the sonos system is playing? Is it possible to have ONLY the sonos playing? i'll give an example:

my TV has a line out to my ZP90. Both are set to inputs into my receiver for home theater (well, the cable is, but you get the point). Like you said, i have a REALLY hardly noticeable lag from the TV source and the other sonos zones (which are, themselves, in PERFECT sync). When doing this (say, for live events like football games where the whole house will have the audio because many people are over) I actually set the receiver to play its Sonos input (which I have linked to the rest of the home) instead of the live input. Ironically, the really small delay was annoying through audio differences but completely unnoticeable comparing the now-completely-synced audio with the video picture.

Tags
delay, latency, line-in