Go Back   Sonos Forums > Sound Ideas

Old Oct 8th, 2010, 07:01 AM

Default Apple iOS Enhancement Request: Register URL scheme

Sonos is great at most things musical but not at anything related to integration with other apps. We all get why. That's ok. We all think also that Sonos has created the best UI for their system that runs on the iOS platform (iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad).

In the iOS, one app can call another app and possibly return to the calling app once the called app is closed. This inter app communication is done by registering a custom URL scheme so other developer's apps can call it. See here: http://handleopenurl.com/ and http://developer.apple.com/library/i...Behaviors.html [see 'Communicating with Other Applications" and below]

For instance, an app can call Facebook:

HTML Link example: <a href="fb://friends">Your Facebook friends</a>

Native application URL string example: fp://requests

If Sonos were to add this simple capability to their iOS apps, other apps could launch the Sonos UI directly. Why?

Since home automation apps are prettry prevalent today, a 'MUSIC' button on an iPad home automation app could directly launch Sonos and hopefully return to the HA app when you exit the Sonos app.

Integration? No. BUT- it does create a more seamless user experience and doesn't violate Sonos' closed-ness. It should work flawlessly and offer virtually no downside to Sonos.

Thoughts?
Old Oct 12th, 2010, 11:11 AM

Sounds interesting if this could also be used to have 'Spotify' links on webpages automatically opened in the iPad Sonos controller. :-)
Old Nov 12th, 2010, 04:48 PM

Default Yes - Please add a Custom URL Scheme to the Info.plist

I agree X3 !!! SONOS controllers don't power on my AV equipment nor do I ever expect them to. So I use a 3rd party iPhone app to do so: power up, switch inputs, volume levels, etc to allow SONOS to play through – and jumping between apps isn't exactly elegant. My URC app supports calling other iphone applications enabling a fairly synergistic solution with the SONOS iPhone controller app as described by redatom. At least it could be if SONOS will add a "Custom URL Scheme" to the "Info.plist" file in their "app bundle" - pretty simple. Apple's own apps and many third-party apps have already done so. I’d really value having this linkage enabled and hope others will join in supporting this request.
Old Feb 9th, 2011, 05:07 AM

Default SONOS Management Any Update on This?!

If you're listening, is there an update on this simple method of integration/non-integration?

It offers users a more streamlined experience for calling Sonos from another app and then returning to that app once Sonos is closed. It doesnt affect the functionality of Sonos. It offers the appearance of integration at the UI level.

Example:
Home automation system on an iPad- touch lights icon to change the scene, touch music icon to launch the sonos app and set the music- return to the home automation app and touch the Temp icon to set the temp of the room cooler.

Thoughts?
Old Feb 9th, 2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redatom View Post
If you're listening, is there an update on this simple method of integration/non-integration?
Sonos Support staff keep an eye on these user forums; they also contribute from time to time.

What Sonos doesn't do as a general rule is pre-announce product features. Enhancements appear when they appear.
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Digital Expert

Another vote for this. I'm a custom installer and we now use ipads as system controllers for many jobs. We also sell sonos on almost all jobs. It'd be fantastic if i could put a sonos:// web command in the sonos macro buttons of my home automation app (democontrol). This would allow me to configure a single button to turn on 3rd party amps/multiroom systems, set to correct input, then jump straight to the sonos ipad app to do all the music management. It doesnt affect the ipad app in any way it just gives me a way to directly launch it without making the user press a macro button, then press ipad home, then press button to launch sonos app.

This just makes sonos look better to ipad end users for very, very little time on sonos part
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 08:46 AM

Default Any news?

Any thoughts on this .. would be extremely useful?
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 06:29 PM

This would be very helpful to smoothly move between Command Fusion and Sonos. Please let us know if you guys can provide us this feature...
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 02:15 AM
Digital Expert

OK so v3.4 of the iPad app was out yesterday... and it doesn't look like we've got the custom URL scheme included in the new version. I tried sonos:// in Safari and it doesn't know what to launch.

Sonos support can you please confirm?

We were asking for a custom URL (eg sonos://) to be registered with the iPad app. This is about 60 seconds work for the app developer to include it in the Sonos app, and it means any other app can directly launch/switch to the Sonos app by using the sonos:// link (eg in a macro button for a home control app)

If it's not in can we please get this for the next iPad app release? This is such a quick win for Apple integration it makes no sense not to have it.

Thanks as always for your support
Old May 18th, 2011, 03:16 AM

Default custom URL

New Voodoo agree's a custom URL is important for a seemless integration, We also use Demopad to control our AV installations and a URL of sonos:// would make a good product even better.

Sonos please get it in the next iPad app update.