Go Back   Sonos Forums > General Discussion

Old Sep 29th, 2010, 03:35 PM

Default iTunes on ipad

I've just downloaded the new iPad app....how do I get the tunes that r on the iPod section of my iPad into the music library on sonos so I can play them thru my S5

TIA
Old Sep 29th, 2010, 04:32 PM

2 steps:

1) sync the iPad to the computer with the music library that you have synced with sonos.

2) update the index in the music library on your sonos.

Now you will be able to acces the songs on your iPad.
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 06:32 AM

in case this wasn't clear, the sonos ipad controller app, is in fact, a controller. like the ipod/iphone controller. and like the desktop controller. and like the CR100 and CR200. they TELL your various zone players what to do in increasingly easier ways but they are not players. Sonos zone players can only play music they have indexed or music that is online through one of the various services, or music/other audio that is coming in through various line-in sources.
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 05:54 AM

I'm still confused. I don't use a PC in my sonos system ... Just 6 zone players, a cr200, and an iPad. I just want to play my iTunes library from the iPad through the various zone players ... Seems so simple yet I can't figure out how to do it. Can someone help?
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 08:05 AM

mattsfx,

Currently, there is no practical, direct way to do this.

You could connect to the iPad's headphone output through the S5's Line-In. At this point you can use the iPad SONOS controller application to select Line-In on the S5, then play music normally through the iPad. Using the iPad controller application or another controller, one can play the iPad in any or all zones by selecting the S5's Line-In.
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 02:05 PM

Default iPad to play itunes on Sonos?

Is there still no way to do this?
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilpster View Post
Is there still no way to do this?
You can play the tracks on your iPad via Airplay, but it requires an Airport Express attached to P:5 or ZP. Search for Airplay in the Sonos FAQ. You can also connect the iPad to the WD100 via an extension cable. There is also the option of using the Twonky Mobile app for the iPhone, but that is unsupported.
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 01:49 AM

Any updates on being able to play from the iPad or iPhone directly?
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Farley View Post
Any updates on being able to play from the iPad or iPhone directly?
Playing from iDevices directly requires AirPlay. This is an artificial limitation by Apple so it can sell licensing to AirPlay equipped products. In addition, AirPlay equipped products require an additional chip in order to decode the AirPlay stream.

Because of this, if Sonos were to manufacturer an AirPlay equipped ZP, it would be more expensive (estimated cost for chip and license is $50-100 US) and it would be incompatible with existing Sonos components. Given this, along with explicit statements from the CEO, it is not expected that AirPlay support will go farther than the Aiport Express method.

As an aside, the Airport Express method works well, as well as AirPlay can work. It does allow AirPlay to be synced across zones, something Apple can't even do.
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 02:45 PM

Thank you very much for the detailed response. As much as I don't like hearing it, I appreciate your taking the time.

-CF