Go Back   Sonos Forums > Getting Started with Sonos

Old Sep 21st, 2010, 02:01 PM

Default Albums Not Appearing in Music Library

Hi there,
I have noticed that a number of albums don't show in the Music Library under Albums but do appear if I go in through Artist and look at the Albums listed by the Artist.

Tags seem the same (i.e. between Queen Greatest Hits which doesn't appear under Albums and Greatest Hits II which does, both appear under Queen as an Artist).

Any thoughts anyone? I have re-indexed the library, removed and added the share to no effect.

CDs are ripped to PC hard drive using dbPowerAmp or Media Monkey (and they show up fine in MM) then synched to my Buffalo Live Station NAS with SyncToy.

Have noticed a couple of other curios as well but can save these for another day.

Any suggestions anyone?
Old Sep 21st, 2010, 02:56 PM

Are you sure the tracks for Queen's Greatest Hits are not lurking under a single "Greatest Hits" item in the Albums listing?

Unfortunately the Sonos library Albums view lumps together all tracks which share a common ALBUM tag, irrespective of ARTIST.
Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 12:38 AM

Hi ratty,
I didn't even think of looking but you are right, lurking there they certainly were! Guess I need to change the album titles to differentiate. Thanks for that!
Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 02:45 PM

The other niggle on Albums I had was the AlbumArtist v Do Not Group options.

I settled for Do Not Group as I wanted all track artists to be accessible under Artist and come up in Artist searches (no search for Contributing Artist?).

However, with Do Not Group enabled, I notice that compilation albums show the artist of the first track on the album as the artist of the album as a whole (instead of "Various" or similar) when viewing with the CR200 controller.

But with AlbumArtist enabled, it happens with some but not all, the rest being Various as you would expect.

Everything in Media Monkey is fine, nothing in the tags explains the behaviour, all as it should be.

Thoughts anyone?
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 04:58 AM

brianaitken,

Anytime the the tags seem "right", but the results are "wrong", we suspect that there are a few duplicate tracks. In case of duplicates, one cannot predict which track will be included in the library index. This is very confusing for the human because the human can "prove" that the tags are correct (on the wrong track).

A quick and dirty way to expose the duplicate is to cripple the library by removing the network cable to the NAS and attempting to play the problem track. The SONOS system will issue a very terse message that includes the full file path. Is this the expected file path?

Also, the SONOS indexer is smart. The indexer checks each file's timestamp. If the time stamp has not changed since the previous index run, the file will not be processed. There is an option, "Modify timestamp when editing files". If this option is not set in Media Monkey, SONOS will ignore your edits. If this is your situation, the most thorough way to recover is to remove the share from your SONOS system and add it again. This will generate a fresh index, regardless of the timestamps.
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 02:11 PM

Thanks buzz - it's not the MM timestamp as that is set to update and I have already reset the share. Will try the duplicate track suggestion and see what that throws up. Thanks, Brian
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 12:36 AM

A slightly less quick-and-dirty way to locate duplicates is to dump the library index and look for unexpected pathnames.

Point a browser to http://x.x.x.x:1400/status/tracks where x.x.x.x is the IP of any ZP. You can find the IPs via a controller's About function. Copy/paste the index into Excel in order to filter/sort.

Tags
library