Go Back   Sonos Forums > General Discussion

Old Sep 13th, 2010, 07:20 PM

Talking Stream Audio from PC to Sonos wirelessly

Ok! I'm in love with Sonos... as with all the other similar forum threads, I have wanted to play my PC/Laptop audio through to my sonos, wirelessly over wifi.

I looked at a few options from usb network share with a usb audio card to using a good ol cable, but I think I have to solution I want now!

Using Jamba, (29.99, free 14 day trial) I created a radio station service on my laptop... once you have that created and you know your computer's IP address, you just need to create a new radio station in Sonos with an address similar to:
http://192.168.1.104:58642/Media/aud.../CaptureStream (your IP address will be different of course)

For any audio on your computer you should be doing fine now... buuuut for video..

now to the tricky part.. if you want to watch videos and not deal with the delay, you need to use a player like VLC or GOM where you can delay the audio on the computer by about 8.6 seconds (that is the delay needed on my computer and network, yours might be different). Takes a little while to test and trick out, but a ton of fun when done!

Once, done, it works like a charm.. all the speakers in my house are streaming the audio from my laptop, in sync, and in the correct timing. no wires and works like a charm... well maybe not a "charm", but it works!

One odd thing that I have to do though is mute the sound that is actually coming out of the laptop speakers... to do this, you just need to plug in a set of headphones and DONT put them on your head. ha!

finally wireless speakers that sound a lot better than the ones built into this laptop and works everywhere!

:-)

If you have suggestions on how to make this mobile rube goldberg machine a bit better... send them across!
Old Sep 17th, 2010, 01:46 AM

I would be very interested in trying this but can nnot find the link...would be so kind as to post the URL for Jamba..

Thanks in advance...

Joel
Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 02:06 AM

Bump, please, anyone...
Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 08:18 AM

Ignore this as it appears as though the original psoter made and error and that JAMBA should be Jamcast...

I will try to configure this later tonight but for those interseted the URL is http://www.sdstechnologies.com/
Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 07:31 PM

You should be able to use VLC media player and server to do the same thing for free.

agillis
Lead Developer VortexBox
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 01:31 AM

They should put a "broadcast pc sound" button in the desktop controller.

Is it possible to use Winamp? I was thinking of Shoutcast or something like that.
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agillis View Post
You should be able to use VLC media player and server to do the same thing for free.
Correct but the problem is figuring out how to setup / use VLC which is anything but intuitive...

Tried a couple of things last nigh teh results of which are as follows...

1. Asset...never tried this application as I ran out of time...no reason to believe that it does not work as Ratty suggests as his information has always been spot on...

2. Jamcast works like a charm and is terribly easy to setup...it does NOT appear as a music service [I do not know why]...it does appear/work as an "added radio station"...very very simple to use.

3. Microsoft Media Player as included Windows 7 based on my research will not work as it can only stream content that is played within WMP...I would appreciate someone with more knowledge than me either confirming or correcting this statement...

4. VLC should work but it is anything but obvious to me...the instructions and settings for BOTH i) initiating / setting up streaming within VLC are very confusing and not intuitive and ii) initiating / setting up the radio stations within SONOS are non existent...VLC needs instructions / wiki a la Jamcast to make it a no brainer...

That said, I would be most grateful were someone to provide step-by-step instructions for using VLC to stream audio that is played from./through Internet Explorer to the SONOS...

Thanks to everyone for their assistance noting that I am hopeful that someone will be kind enough to respond to the WMP and VLC portions of this posting...

Again, thanks...

Joel

PS. I do not like double posting but will do so in this instance as there is more information in this thread http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?t=13980 starting with post 25 onwards…
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBX077 View Post
Brilliant idea...SONOS are you listening?

Quote:
Is it possible to use Winamp? I was thinking of Shoutcast or something like that.
I do not know...I refer you to my above postingwhere I have put forth 4 solutions noting that I am NOT looking for a fifth or more unleass, and of course, it is a fantastic solutions...

In an ideal world I would like to learn / figure out how to do this using VLC as I could then use one application for everything but it is not clear as to how to do so...
Old Oct 5th, 2011, 09:57 PM

Default really?

Quote:
The Sonos system can't do this already? Any bluetooth audio system can do this with ease. Was seriously considering buying a ZP120, but not being able to stream audio (emusic/beatport/juno previews, youtube music, etc) without a hardware link is a real deal breaker. Gonna need to call the sales people on this one?
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 01:29 AM

There are several workarounds to achieve this, but it is not a native functionality.

Tags
jamcast, sonos, video, vlc, wireless