Go Back   Sonos Forums > General Discussion

Old Sep 7th, 2010, 02:49 PM

Default Please help with NAS choice - Update

As promised for any non-tech people (like myself) who might have the same issues heres my update.

After some great advice and some pointers I bought the Western Digital Mybook World Edition 1TB.

Setting up the NAS was easy and as simple as connecting it to a router and plugging it in then using the installation disk provided my laptop easily located the device. I then loaded some trial CDs in MP3 format onto the NAS. Next using the Sonos desktop I added a new share (being the NAS) and its located and added my music to the libary imediately.

The unit itself meets all my needs, its small, fanless so its not noisy when in use and can work when the laptop / pc are powered down.

Overall very easy to setup and well within my budget.

Thanks for everyone that provided anwsers and I hope this can go to help anyone else thats in the same situation am I was.
Old Sep 10th, 2010, 06:18 AM
Digital Expert

Mr Crazy Hat II,

Although the MyBook does everything you say, be aware that some people do have problems. F'rinstance...
http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-...-use/m-p/50600
http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-...-II/td-p/38659

While my own MyBook randomly drops off the network every week or so, other people see this happening every few minutes or hours (or rather don't see anything after it's happened )

Opinion seems to be divided as to whether this is a problem with the number of "features" WD insist on having running by default and/or whether it's an incorrect response when Windows 7 attempts to "optimize" the connection.

But some people seem untroubled - here's hoping you are one of the lucky ones!
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 03:36 PM

Thanks PaulS, to date I've had no problems but I'll keep the provided links just incase things go pear shaped.
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 04:48 AM

Smile hello,

I have been using a unit named Vortexbox as my NAS! You may want to take a look at it as it will also auto CDs and then auto re-index the Sonos so the CD appears right in the Sonos after ripping It even has a great app to play the music on the Sonos..
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 04:44 AM

Good Morning,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubertaffy View Post
another popular one you see mentioned is the Dlink 323 which i have (or similar 321). i've seen quite a handful of people on here talk about it and is in fact why i got mine a couple years ago.
I'd like to do this as well. But I have to admit, for some reason talk of NASs always gets me confused.

help me understand this better!

I'm running a new iMac. I see how I could connect (for example) the Dlink 323 to my Airport Extreme and tell iTunes to maintain my media collection on the NAS instead of the hard drive. And I assume it would be easy (better) to have the Sonos controller access my music via the NAS.

My Airport Extreme is connected to my computer wirelessly. Is this an issue if I then connect the Dlink 323 to the Airport Extreme?

Sorry if these are silly concerns, but I keep hearing about the advantages of an NAS and want to take the plunge. Maybe this can be the discussion that finally clarifies NASs for me, and maybe it will help others who have the same concerns!

Thanks,
Matthew
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewSchenker View Post
My Airport Extreme is connected to my computer wirelessly. Is this an issue if I then connect the Dlink 323 to the Airport Extreme?
It's only an issue if you want to shunt a lot of data between your Mac and a NAS. Managing a NAS-based music library can get a bit tedious over a wireless connection. You'd be advised to temporarily cable the Mac to the Airport whilst ripping/transcoding/tag-editing.
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 11:06 AM

Hi Guys,

Does this model of NAS look ok for use with Sonos?

NETGEAR ReadyNAS 2100 2TB Rackmount NAS

Thoughts welcome

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 4 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ian
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 12:27 PM

Default WD or DLink

I would highly recommend the WD NAS or DLink. If you wanted to build one there is plenty of help online. Search different forums and look in to unRaid. I also believe the WD black series drives are currently the most reliable drives followed by WD green drives.
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 11:06 PM

Thanks for that,

How about this type?

2TB Western Digital My Book World NAS WDH1NC20000

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 4 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ian
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 06:05 PM

Default How do NAS's connect to the network?

I am a bit confused how the NAS devices get connected to the network...I mean do they HAVE TO connect directly to a router? Directly to the main computer? Or can the NAS be located remotely (like in a closet) as long as there is a network connection available there?

Thanks!