Go Back   Sonos Forums > General Discussion

Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 03:32 AM

Default Which NAS should I choose for my Sonos system?

Hi Everybody

I am planning on getting started with a Sonos system very soon. To begin with I am going to buy a Sonos ZP90 ZonePlayer and a great NAS to store my music on. The ZonePlayer and the NAS will be attached to my stereo in the living room. Later on I want to expand the system with a zone in the bedroom.

I already have a iPhone, and as the phone can be used as a controller with the Sonos application, I am not planning on buying a Sonos controller.

I have noticed that there are several NAS on the market, and I find it difficult to decide which one to buy. Therefore, I am hoping that some of the members of the Sonos forum can give me some good advice concerning this issue.

I have a big cd collection, which I am planning on ripping to Flac files that will be stored on the NAS. Consequently, the NAS needs to have a big harddrive (500 GB or more). I would also like to have a NAS that doesn't use to much electricity and that isn't noisy, as I am planning on placing it in my living room. It would also be nice if the NAS is easy to setup, but the above mentioned issues are more important.

Finally, I have heard that some NAS can make automatic backups of its entire contents. Such a feature would be really great for me, as it would be unbearable to have to rip my entire cd collection again, if the NAS should crash... However, in order to have this backup feature will I have to buy a NAS with two harddrives?

I hope that some of you Sonos Forum members can recommend some NAS that can live up to my expectations! I would really appreciate any kind of help.

Best regards
Morten Sybrandt,
Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 03:44 AM

Hallo, and welcome to the forums.

There is a long-running sticky thread on the choice of NAS here. You might want to skip to some of the later posts. Netgear, Buffalo and Western Digital are popular.
Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 01:37 PM

Hi Ratty

Thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction. I will have a look at the thread concerning the choise of NAS.

Best regards
Sybrandt.
Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 07:56 PM

I'm using a Synology DS410 and it's working like a champ.
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 04:10 AM

I use the synology DS210j which was easy to set up and seems to work well. You can put in what size hard drives you want which also means you can upgrade easily as your needs increase.

I would go for a NAS with at least two hard drives to give you some redundancy.
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 04:31 AM

For music library backup, personally I prefer to have two separate NAS boxes (from different manufacturers as it happens). A Western Digital is the live copy and is set to spin up and down on demand; a Buffalo is only powered up when I rip a batch of CDs, in order to save a canonical copy of the rip before I start messing around with ReplayGain tags, Mp3tag edits etc.

I also copy to a portable drive.

YMMV
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMurray View Post
I'm using a Synology DS410 and it's working like a champ.
I have briefly checked out the Synology DS410 after you recommended it. However, I must say that the price of it in Denmark is slightly above what I expect to spend on a NAS.

Best regards
Sybrandt.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rettah View Post
I use the synology DS210j which was easy to set up and seems to work well. You can put in what size hard drives you want which also means you can upgrade easily as your needs increase.

I would go for a NAS with at least two hard drives to give you some redundancy.
Hi Rettah

If I should decide to purchase the Synoly DS 210j NAS, would you then recommend any hard drives in particular for it? I have a big cd collection, so I would prefer hard drives with at least 1TB, but which kind of brands and models should I go for?

By the way, is the Synology DS 210j noisy? I need to know because I expect to keep my NAS in the living room, and therefore I would definitely want a silent model.

Best regards
Sybrandt.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 12:48 PM

The Western Digital Green Power drives are good. They're not the fastest but if bulk transfers are relatively infrequent then it might not be an issue. For streaming they're absolutely fine. They're low power and remarkably quiet. These are also the drives fitted in WD's own NAS boxes.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post
For music library backup, personally I prefer to have two separate NAS boxes (from different manufacturers as it happens). A Western Digital is the live copy and is set to spin up and down on demand; a Buffalo is only powered up when I rip a batch of CDs, in order to save a canonical copy of the rip before I start messing around with ReplayGain tags, Mp3tag edits etc.

I also copy to a portable drive.

YMMV
Hi Ratty

I was wondering why you have decided to have two separate NAS boxes, and even from two different manufacturers? I am curious about it because I would like to know the advantages of your choice.

Does live copy mean that it is the NAS that you play music from etc.?

What do you do in order to have back ups of the contents of the Western Digital NAS? Do you just run manual backups every once in a while, or do you go about things in a different manner?

Which Western Digital and Buffalo models do you have, and would you recommend both of them? As I have mentioned before I am looking for a reliable NAS that is silent and preferably easy to set up.

I know that it is a completely different issue, but I would also like to know which software you use for ripping cds?

Best regards
Sybrandt.