Go Back   Sonos Forums > General Discussion

Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 07:50 PM

Default How much internet does Sonos use?

I am having problems with my 12 gig internet usage being sucked up in 6 days and this is only since I have connected sonos. Does anyone know how much it uses or have had this issue? It stays hooked up but only gets used on the weekend if its lucky!
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 08:44 PM

You need to make sure the Zone Players are paused or stopped when not in use.

Internet Radio, Rhapsody, etc stream at around 128kbit per second. If run for 24 hours that will be a little over 1 gig. If run only on weekends that would be around 8 gigs per month total. This is only for one stream. If you use multiple streams at the same this this will use more data. (does not include linked zones) A 12 gig cap is going to be difficult with a streaming system as well as computers, etc sharing the limit. Best suggestion would be to stream music that is on your PC or Mac when possible as this does not use any form of internet and does not affect the 12 gig cap.
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
You need to make sure the Zone Players are paused or stopped when not in use.
To reinforce Charles' point; it needs to be paused not just muted. When muted the signal is still being hauled across the internet, but the speakers are turned off so you can't hear it.