Go Back   Sonos Forums > General Discussion

Old May 27th, 2010, 08:24 PM

Default Using a microphone for an input

I have 4 zones outside used for entertaining guests at parties. I want to use a wireless microphone like one from Shure to allow me or a guest to talk to everyone using the zones. Has anyone doe something like this?
Old May 27th, 2010, 10:55 PM

Yes, I did it once and it worked really well.
You need to make sure the mic has some sort of pre-amp. Typically microphones are designed to connect to hi-impedance inputs. If you try to connect them into a standard amp input (like the Sonos Line In) they won't work as the signal level will be far too low.

I don't know your model, but some wireless mics have a pre-amp built into their base unit. The best way to tell is to look at what outputs are available from it. If there are phono outputs then it should work. If not and the only output is a 1/4 in jack, then it's designed to operate with a hi-impedence pre-amp circuit. In this case you will need some sort of mic pre-amp before you connect it to the Sonos Line In.

In my case, I used my kids old Karaoke machine which I plugged the mic into, and took the phono line-out from this into the ZP Line In.

Cheers,

Keith
Old May 28th, 2010, 12:40 AM

I would recommend something like this:
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/502.aspx

That way you can plug any microphone in, wired or wireless what ever suits you and it can be had for about £40.
Old May 28th, 2010, 10:16 AM

One point to consider when adding a microphone to a ZonePlayer is that there is a short encoding delay between the SONOS Line-In and Line-Out or speaker out. While this is usually not a practical issue, it may an issue in sound reinforcement applications. Certainly, it will drive gamers crazy.

If the microphone and the speakers are in the same room, there will be an apparent echo between the direct sound from the person and the speaker output. In a large hall, this will probably not be much of an issue, but it could be annoying in a small room. Some individuals may have difficulty operating in this sort of environment.
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 04:51 AM

Default wireless microphone with sonos

so is it unbearable the delay?
which microphone wireless system have people used? do you need the pre-amp system?
Thanks.
- Adam
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 05:42 PM

shooey,

In technical terms, the delay is about 70ms. This is enough to introduce an "echo" effect if the microphone and the loudspeakers are in the same room.

Each of us has a different tolerance for the delay. This would be very annoying to me, but others might feel that it is a "cool" effect.

Quality microphones will need a preamp or mixer (the preamp is built-in).