Go Back   Sonos Forums > General Discussion

Old Apr 18th, 2010, 03:20 AM

Default Using Sonos instead of PC speakers

One of my CP-100s is next to computer, which I use to watch movies.

Rather than purchase a second set of computer speakers I am attempting to route the computer sound via Sonos to the Sonos speakers.

I have set the line-in encoding to uncompressed under preferences and set the line-in level to 10.

Nevertheless, video and audio are still not synchronized. Using these settings has reduced the delay from 10 seconds to under 1 second.

Does anyone have advice as to how audio and video can be perfectly synchronized using this setup?

If this is not possible, does anyone have advice on which high quality computer speakers to purchase that can also be used as Sonos speakers while the computer is off? i.e. that have a separate audio line in?

Thanks in advance
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 03:28 AM

Try using media player classic (not to be confused with windows media player). It allows to adjust audio delay in any direction while playing videos.
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 09:40 AM

Yeah...you're sort of in a tough spot. Anything that hits the Sonos will have some sort of delay introduced. Just the nature of the beast.

Avee's suggestion is good. You can introduce a video delay to compensate for the Sonos delay and get things synched up that way.
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 03:18 PM

Cool delay with the "line in" from the sonos

the reason why you get the delay is because you are using the "compress"sound... so youcould possibly send the sound in other room of your house....

so you be able to use the sonos locally as Computer speakers you need to open your sonos desktop controller
then on the top right click on "file" then "preferences" it will open anew window select the "advance tab" and on the second part of that page you can select "line in encoding" and set it as uncompressed.

That will do the trick.
have a great day
Old Apr 24th, 2010, 02:00 AM

Err - he said right at the start "I have set the line-in encoding to uncompressed"!

I have never seen a 10 second delay, but you are right, you can't eliminate it entirely. Avee's solution looks the best.

Personally I use some reasonably decent powered speakers and switch the signal between ZP80 line out and the computer output using a very basic DJ crossfade mixer I had lying around. But, there again, I am not looking for super quality at this point.

Rick Parsons

Now 7 zones, 3 controllers + iPad, iPod, iPhone, Android Tablet, Windows & Mac controllers.
Hi-Fi is Cyrus/Quad/Rega/Linn connected to a zone in the record loop.
Computer is a Mac but with Windows running under VMware for some purposes - e.g. MediaMonkey which I prefer to iTunes.
Music is on a ReadyNAS Duo.

Tags
latency, line-in, sound delay, speakers