Go Back   Sonos Forums > Getting Started with Sonos

Old Oct 13th, 2005, 06:53 AM

Default Computer Connect to ZP "line source" ?

"Connect your computer to a ZonePlayer via RCA to 3.5mm cable. Play the protected music through Rhapsody and listen to it as a line-in source on the Sonos system."

So if I understand this correctly ...

I copied the above from another thread ... so if I have copy right protected music on my computer - music purchased from iTunes or purchased from Rhapsody (and that isnt available streamed) ... how do I connect the zone player to the computer? does this mean I would be playing the songs on my computer say through ITunes but now its available to all the zone players?

if someone could explain the about in really no techie terms --- that would help ...

:=)

(I soooo close to purchasing I can taste it but am afraid how I wish to use Sonos and how I get my music -- it will become a maintenance nightmare -- purchase online, burn cd, rip back same music, ...)

also ... NAS - network attached storage - v say another internal harddrive for the mp3 files --- which is the better route to go? is NAS so I dont have to have my computer up/running for the music? is NAS speed sufficient?

thanks everybody ... these forums are terrific!
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 09:55 PM
Sonos Software Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by egeg
"Connect your computer to a ZonePlayer via RCA to 3.5mm cable. Play the protected music through Rhapsody and listen to it as a line-in source on the Sonos system."

So if I understand this correctly ...

I copied the above from another thread ... so if I have copy right protected music on my computer - music purchased from iTunes or purchased from Rhapsody (and that isnt available streamed) ... how do I connect the zone player to the computer? does this mean I would be playing the songs on my computer say through ITunes but now its available to all the zone players?
Sounds like Genius74 got most of your questions - and you are right about connecting your computer to a ZonePlayer via Line-In. If you do not wish to burn all your DRM music to a CD, you may connect your computer to a ZonePlayer with the 3.5mm to 2xRCA cable you mention. This will essentially play all audio coming out of your computer (e.g. from iTunes), which you can then distribute throughout your system.

The downside of this is, because Sonos is only acting as a relay, you would have to return to your computer to control what is playing.