Go Back   Sonos Forums > General Discussion

Old Apr 10th, 2010, 01:17 PM

Default wireless distance, remote distance

I am installing a sonos system in my home and as part of that system, I will be installing two all weather speakers on the outside of my home that are hard wired to a ZP120 inside my home. I would like to be sitting out at the pool and be able to use my controller or Iphone without having to get up and go inside the home to make a volume or station change. How far can I expect the signial to travel and if it isn't far enough can I plug in a zone bridge somwhere in the middle to extend my range?
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstum View Post
I am installing a sonos system in my home and as part of that system, I will be installing two all weather speakers on the outside of my home that are hard wired to a ZP120 inside my home. I would like to be sitting out at the pool and be able to use my controller or Iphone without having to get up and go inside the home to make a volume or station change. How far can I expect the signial to travel and if it isn't far enough can I plug in a zone bridge somwhere in the middle to extend my range?
There are two networks in use here....

The Iphone will use your existing WIFI network/router you can test if this would work now. Take your Iphone to the pool and see if you have wireless access.

The Sonos controller does not use your existing wireless network. It connects directly to the Nearest Zone Bridge/Zone Player The only real way to find out how well this would work would be to try it...

There are a great many things that will affect wifi coverage including wall thickness/type, other nearby networks, Weather. It is not possible to tell you how well it will work without further information.

Jason
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 02:03 PM

rstum,

First post! Welcome to the forums.

Keep in mind that WiFi ignores SONOS and SONOS ignores WiFi. The iPhone/iTouch/iPad requires WiFi, the SONOS handheld controllers use the SONOS wireless.

Effective range of WiFi and the SONOS wireless are similar and depend on the local situation. Dense walls and local interference can decrease range.

Each situation is unique and no one can guarantee results. My experience with WiFi and SONOS wireless has been that typical coverage extends about 20 to 30 feet outside of the house, but conditions vary wildly. Sometimes there is zero coverage outside and I have seen two buildings separated by about 70 feet linked with two ZoneBridges.

Yes, a ZoneBridge or two can improve coverage in a large area, but only for SONOS units, not the iConrollers. Ideally, the ZoneBridges should be wired to your network, but a wireless ZoneBridge placed slightly inside of the outer coverage limit can nearly double the linear range. Keep in mind that SONOS components are not weatherproof and must be protected. In general, a pump house will protect the units, but the upper operating temperature limit is 104°F.