Go Back   Sonos Forums > Getting Started with Sonos

Old Feb 5th, 2005, 01:33 AM

Default Simple ? - How to turn off

Had my new Sonos for 2 days . . . exceeds expectations! But how do I turn off? It seems just pausing music or muting is not the same.

Am I being too old fashion/analog?
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 06:45 AM
Digital Expert

Default Turning off

This took me a little while to get used to also. Since the Sonos ZP is really a network appliance (much like a router or switch) it stays on all the time. Since the controller puts itself to sleep automatically, you do not have to worry about turning it off.

Perhaps in a future upgrade, timer functionality could be implemented to start and stop playback according to a user defined schedule.

millermt
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 08:20 AM

Default Harm in Hard Reboot

In a related inquiry: is this a network appliance with an OS? <Obvious answer is yes.> And if so, is there such thing as a graceful shutdown . . . or does the design handle a sudden power off <assuming the answer here is Yes>.

The insides of the box is an intriquing mystery of cool technology.
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMc
In a related inquiry: is this a network appliance with an OS? <Obvious answer is yes.> And if so, is there such thing as a graceful shutdown . . . or does the design handle a sudden power off <assuming the answer here is Yes>.
Good question(s)! I'll be interested in the answers, but my guess is your assumed answers are correct.

UR
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 12:45 PM

The ZonePlayer has two power-on states.

"Not playing music" : The CPU/Wireless is active

"Playing music" : The CPU/Wireless and Amplifier are active. The amp is automatically switched on when there is music to play, and off the moment the music stops.

Thanks, Chris.
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 01:03 PM

Default Still unclear

Chris -

Great system. I'm using an NAS and it set up in 2 minutes. One idiosyncrasy though. If I'm listening to music and I decide I want to go out for the day, I can't just turn the music off. I have to either pause or clear the queue to stop the music. I know in the digital domain a pause is like turning off the music, but decades of human erogonomics make it seem odd to use pause to stop the music permanently from the controller. What say you?
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulC
Chris -

Great system. I'm using an NAS and it set up in 2 minutes. One idiosyncrasy though. If I'm listening to music and I decide I want to go out for the day, I can't just turn the music off. I have to either pause or clear the queue to stop the music. I know in the digital domain a pause is like turning off the music, but decades of human erogonomics make it seem odd to use pause to stop the music permanently from the controller. What say you?
I think this is the price Sonos pays for being a leader in Digital Music Systems.

As you point out pause is equivalent to stop - we could have added a button for stop; but it would have just done the same as pause.

If it is any consolation we heavily debated this during the design phase

Chris.
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 06:25 PM

Default Pausing of Internet Radio

This discussion of "physical off" and our long term human interaction with electricity is curious. Should we care that pause is the same as off? (Can we evolve ?)

What about an Internet Radio stream . . .if I pause it on the way out the door, have I disconnected from the Internet streaming server? or am I wasting bandwidth as they drop in my home's bit bucket?

-Les
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMc
What about an Internet Radio stream . . .if I pause it on the way out the door, have I disconnected from the Internet streaming server? or am I wasting bandwidth as they drop in my home's bit bucket?
When you hit pause, we stop streaming the music from the Internet.

Thanks, Chris.
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 01:33 PM

Default Turning off -- not so simple?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris - Sonos
If it is any consolation we heavily debated this during the design phase

Chris.
While I consider myself to be a technophile, I struggled for about 4 hours with this -- poring through the user manual trying to figure out how to turn the system off.

I now know mute = off, but for those of us who don't run networks / write code / etc. for a living, it's not clear at all that this is the case. If the eventual hope is to sell this system into the mass market (a la ipod), then an off button -- or at least some mention or discussion of "how to turn off" in the manual -- would be helpful.

Actually, that's my suggestion for a future update -- program one of the soft keys to read "Turn Off." Even if it just does whole house mute, it would be more intuitive (IMHO) than the current setup.

Cheers,

Hoya

BTW - I'm streaming KCSB at the moment (wife and I did our undergrad there). You guys are lucky to be HQ'd in SB.