Go Back   Sonos Forums > Digital Music

Old Feb 1st, 2010, 08:12 AM

Default FLAC compression and Sonos

Hi,

I'm currently ripping all my CDs to FLAC. I use DbPoweramp and I chose the best compression (level 8).
Unfortunately, when I play the tracks, Sonos plays the beginning but then stops and cuts the track into pieces. Which is particularly annoying.

I've been thinking that the reason is because the files are too large or complicated. When I play Mp3 tracks, I don't have the problem.

My Sonos is plugged to the house router and the tracks are stored on an external hard drive plugged to my laptop. The laptop is connected to the network by wifi. The wifi connection is good since I'm able to look movies on demand at a fairly good quality.

Then my questions are:
- Is there another explanation than file size or complexity to explain my problem?
- Would a lower compression level solve the problem? (storage is not an issue for me)
- I'm considering buying a NAS that would be plugged to the same router as the Sonos. Would this be a better solution than changing the compression level?

Thank you for your help
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 09:15 AM

I'd ripped my CDs the same way as you, dbpoweramp, flac, level 8. The source for my Sonos is a QNAP TS109, a rather slow NAS. I do not Have any problems playing these flacs with my sonos, even if i am playing two differnt flacs on two different Zoneplayer with this NAS. What's your source? What connection to the router / Wireless, do you have a proper installed network, no double IPs?
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 09:42 AM

I don't think I have a double IP.

The source is an external hard drive USB plugged to my laptop. Then my laptop is wireless connected to the network.

I understand that your NAS is wire connected to your network, which could be possible for me and could solve my problem
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 10:38 AM

Another possibility for problems could be wifi interferences. Did you scan for wireless traffic by your neighborhood, e.g. by means of netstumbler or inSSIDer?

My NAS is wired.
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 10:48 AM

Can you temporarily hard wire your laptop to your router to see if wired ethernet suffers the same problem? Seems most likely to be wifi bandwidth (bearing in mind your movie downloads/streaming may use a much bigger buffer which hides the issue).
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 05:26 PM

Hi,

Apparently, the answer is Neilball's. I'm currently listenning to my tracks in the most fluid way having hard wired my computer. Then I'll probably use Turboplupe solution: using a NAS always wired with all my music.

Thank you for your help