Go Back   Sonos Forums > Getting Started with Sonos

Old Jan 8th, 2010, 12:42 AM

Default Sonos Wireless Channel

I am a little unclear on whether the wireless channel on the SONOS should be the same or different to the one on my wireless router. I use 11 on the router and had 6 set on Sonos and today it keeps dropping out - no sound for ages and then it would come back. I have now changed it to 11 and it currently seems to be OK. Having said that it was on 6 all last night and played fine for about 2.5 hours.

Thanks
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 01:43 AM

As a general rule, set Wifi and Sonos on different channels. Although they ignore one another, they will compete for bandwidth if they share the same channel. In exceptional circumstances - e.g. where there is major external interference on 2 out of the 3 possible channels - it may be a better compromise to leave them sharing a single channel.

Ignoring the situation where channels are shared, there are only 6 possible permutations of Wifi and Sonos channels, so it can make sense simply to try each one in turn. Make notes of performance - Sonos and Wifi - for each, then select the best.

You can also use tools such as WirelessNetView to check for neighbours' Wifi channels, though note that it won't show Sonos.
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 03:04 AM

OK Thanks. It seemed to be fine on 11, but I have now changed it to 1 to see if that is OK since 6 seemed to be giving me problems
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 11:00 AM

My router is set on 11 and had drop out on channels 1 and 6 on Sonos. I contacted sonos who ran diagnostics on all 3 channels the best was channel 11 as the router. I have had absolutely no problems since. Try contacting them ang get them to run diagnostic check. They are very helpful and will get your system running at it's optimum.