Go Back   Sonos Forums > Getting Started with Sonos

Old Jan 4th, 2010, 02:07 PM

Default Import Ipod touch songs to system

Hello all,

I'm from Holland so don't comment on my english. I'll do my best. I just bought a Sonos Bridge and a ZP90 zoneplayer. I use my Ipod touch 32GB as a controller. Everythings working just fine, but I can't figure out how to select and play all the songs I have on my Ipod. Do I have to share my Ipod or something in the Sonos desktop controller?

I hope someone can help me.

Thanx in advance.

Regards, Harold
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorsh10 View Post
I use my Ipod touch 32GB as a controller.
And that's all it is, a controller. It's not a music player, it's not a music source.

You seem to have misunderstood what the product is before you purchased it. I suggest you contact tech support before proceeding.
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RO53BEN View Post
And that's all it is, a controller. It's not a music player, it's not a music source.

You seem to have misunderstood what the product is before you purchased it. I suggest you contact tech support before proceeding.
Are U saying it's not possible to play the music on your Ipod without having a Network harddisk or a computer with all the music stored??? Or can I connect my Ipod in my network and use it as a music source?
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorsh10 View Post
Are U saying it's not possible to play the music on your Ipod without having a Network harddisk or a computer with all the music stored??? Or can I connect my Ipod in my network and use it as a music source?
You cannot attach your iPod and use it as a music source, unless you use it as an analog line-in source. Since it is designed to be a multi-zone music system, Sonos requires multiple streams from a music source. An iPod is incapable of providing multiple streams, so it's use as a Sonos source is impossible.
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgatie View Post
You cannot attach your iPod and use it as a music source, unless you use it as an analog line-in source. Since it is designed to be a multi-zone music system, Sonos requires multiple streams from a music source. An iPod is incapable of providing multiple streams, so it's use as a Sonos source is impossible.
Ok...that sucks... I'll go and buy a network harddisk tomorrow then.

Thanx for the answers both of you.
Old Jan 6th, 2010, 04:15 PM

Default update

Hello guys,

A little update, I bought a 500GB Freecom network harddisk and now everything works great. Only the 12GB music transfer to the new harddisk took a while....:S

Anyway, I still think it's a pity that the Ipod or Iphone is incapable of playing it's music directly...but so be it.

Thanx again, im a happy Sonos user now.

Grtz
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 02:39 PM

to be clear for other users reading this: you can plug in an ipod to the inputs of a sonos zone players and then use any or all of your zones to play the music that comes out of your ipod.

HOWEVER...sonos is not PULLING the music nor is it indexing or allowing any control, etc. you would have to select music, etc with your ipod. it would be as if you plugged your ipod into a set of speakers....just speakers that happened to be easily synced throughout your house. This is a very nice add on and useful. BUT ITS NOT the same thing as having your sonos index your actual music files and play multiple files in multiple zones by pulling them off your computer or Network Drive.
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 06:14 PM

Silly question here for a Sonos newbie. Ubertaffy, you say we can "plug in an ipod to the inputs of a sonos," but I don't see how that works. Do I use that white cord that came with the S5? Plug that into my iTouch and then plug it into the S5? Where? I don't hear any music. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 09:22 PM

Yes, use the white cord that came with your S5. Plug one end into the headphone jack on your iPod and the other end into the line-in jack on the back of your S5 (the hole between the headphone jack and the 2 ethernet ports).

Now on your controller (assuming iPhone or CR200) go to:

Music Menu -> Line-in

You'll see something like:
Line-in: Living Room
(or whatever your S5 is named)

Select that and press Play Now from the menu that pops up.

Now play some music on your iPod and you should hear it on your S5.

Now the really neat thing is you can do this on any zone; not just the S5 the iPod is plugged into (as Ubertaffy pointed out). In fact, the S5 can be playing something completely different while other zones are playing what the iPod is feeding to the S5.
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 11:13 AM

TG, let us know if you got it squared away. the big confusion is usually in HOW the music is played, and I was just trying to say that the MAIN way sonos gets local music is through your network to a PC or network drive with mp3 files on it (or FLAC, apple, etc). however, zones can take audio that is playing and use it. so you can plug in a TV to a sonos to get the TV audio streaming through your house...but the TV has to be ON obviously as Sonos is just taking that signal and using it. Same with the ipod. sonos doesn't care about the files on the ipod...in fact, it doesn't even know its an ipod... it just hears music playing that you selected on your ipod, and it pumps it to any or every zone you have.

short version: sonos reading files from a computer or NAS drive can control everything. sonos having an ipod plugged in physically is one massive house-sized pair of headphones.