Go Back   Sonos Forums > Getting Started with Sonos

Old Dec 30th, 2009, 09:05 AM

Question iTunes & Sonos S5

After a lot of saving I have at last got myself a sonos!

I am having trouble understanding how it will/can work with my iTunes library and playlists.

I store ALL of my music on a Bufallo NAS which is shared.

The albums are stored with album artwork in respective folders, e.g Dance Music, Classic, R&B in MP3 Format and have been added to the iTunes library by browsing for the folder and dragging the music into the App.

The iTunes library and playlists are also on the NAS.

However I can't find/browse the iTunes library or playlists when trying to add them to the Sonos.

Is there a share I have to apply in Windows or iTunes?

I seem to be missing something! Help please!
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 09:19 AM

On the Desktop Controller, choose Music->Set Up Music Library. Click "Add a Share", then "Add music stored in folders that are currently shared on my network". In the box that follows, type the network path of the iTunes library, i.e. "//NAS_NAME/SHARE_NAME". Note that only root level folders can be shared on an NAS. You cannot share an individual directory such as

"//NAS_NAME/SHARE_NAME/Music_directory".

You must share

"//NAS_NAME/SHARE_NAME".

Note that the share directory must be designated a share, and if password protected, you have to enter the username and password after entering the share above.
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 09:53 AM

Default Thanks but!

Does this then mean I cannot add my itunes library without moving it to the hard drive of my computer?
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 10:00 AM

No, you should be able to share the root directory of your iTunes library on the NAS. Sonos will scan the share for any music and playlists, and will display them on the controller. Sonos will ignore any non-music files in the share. If you have music you wish to exclude from Sonos, you can move it out of the shared directory. You should be able to find the path to the share on the Buffalo NAS by right clicking on the directory and choosing properties. Put the network path into the box for the Sonos share pathname mentioned above.

What most people do in an iTunes environment is create a share (call it iTunes) on the NAS, then migrate all iTunes tracks to that share. Then close iTunes and copy the iTunes library files (.itl and .xml) to the share. Then restart iTunes with the shift key held down. A window will prompt you to choose a new library file. Browse to the library file in the share you just created and choose it. Now all your tracks and your library files are in the same share. Point Sonos to the share (as in my post above) and all is well.
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 10:09 AM

...once you have it working, as explained very well above, you need to understand one thing....if you make any changes to your iTunes library -- such as adding/deleting songs or creating/changing playlists -- you have to do two simple things for Sonos to see the changes:

1. Close iTunes (this causes iTunes to update the XML file -- the file that stores the information about your music); and

2. Go into Sonos, either the software or from the controller, click on "music" then "update music index" -- this tells Sonos to grab the updated XML file so it can give you access to all of your music
Old Dec 31st, 2009, 11:06 AM

i use a dlink NAS and use itunes and sonos and everything works fine. so keep giving us your questions if you run into any as we'll definately get you set up right.
Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 05:16 PM

Default Thanks to everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubertaffy View Post
i use a dlink NAS and use itunes and sonos and everything works fine. so keep giving us your questions if you run into any as we'll definately get you set up right.
Thanks for your offer, this forum is proving very helpful.

I have got my music up and running and now realise how many typos and badly tagged tracks I have.

Would you mind clarifying something though, I have set up my itunes library and loaded up the tunes and playlists.

Do I copy the .xml file into the root of the share and then refresh the library?

By doing this will my iTunes set up be accessable by the SONOS?

How do you guys set up playlists? I have found an App called my playlist maker, If I create playlists do I have to add them to the root or can they be in a folder?

any help will be appreciated, thanks to you all so far , Happy New Year
Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 06:51 AM

Bavy:

Others may do things differently but here goes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavy View Post
I have got my music up and running and now realise how many typos and badly tagged tracks I have.
Good to hear that you are now up and running.

Quote:
Would you mind clarifying something though, I have set up my itunes library and loaded up the tunes and playlists.

Do I copy the .xml file into the root of the share and then refresh the library?
I do not know your exact setup but I have my iTunes library setup on my NAS (for a number of reasons) and simplu point the SONOS to the NAS' shred drive (i.e. the folder within the share drive named iTunes).

In this way the SONOS pickups up all the album art, all the play lists, all the songs, etc.

The use of a NAS is not necessary as a PC can be used but said PC would have to be on for the SONOS to work.

Quote:
By doing this will my iTunes set up be accessable by the SONOS?

How do you guys set up playlists? I have found an App called my playlist maker, If I create playlists do I have to add them to the root or can they be in a folder?
By using the approach that I use above SONOS will essentially have the same organization/structure that iTunes has and, of equal import, provides 1 point of management that makes EVERYTHING *BOTH* available and identical for iTunes and SONOS.

For clarity, SONOS will import the iTunes play lists for you.

Quote:
any help will be appreciated, thanks to you all so far , Happy New Year
Hope this has been helpful and happy new year to you as well...

Joel
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 02:00 PM

looks like i am just a "me too" here but wanted to say that you shouldn't have to move any xml files or any of that. if you use itunes you will likely have a folder where all the music is stored. Just share that folder with SONOS. if you don't use normal itunes management of your folders and you have more than one location of your music, that's fine too...you can share multiple folders with Sonos.
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 10:09 AM

Default Lets Belabor

jgatie said
---

On the Desktop Controller, choose Music->Set Up Music Library. Click "Add a Share", then "Add music stored in folders that are currently shared on my network". In the box that follows, type the network path of the iTunes library, i.e. "//NAS_NAME/SHARE_NAME". Note that only root level folders can be shared on an NAS. You cannot share an individual directory such as

"//NAS_NAME/SHARE_NAME/Music_directory".

You must share

"//NAS_NAME/SHARE_NAME".

Note that the share directory must be designated a share, and if password protected, you have to enter the username and password after entering the share above.

---
My Buffalo now has 2 shares: the default "share" and one I added "ituneslib". My path would be
"//LS-QL0C9/ituneslib" not "//LS-QL0C9/share/ituneslib" as described above. In other words, the ituneslib share is not nested within the default Buffalo share called "share" but is separate.

Secondly, jgaity said
---

What most people do in an iTunes environment is create a share (call it iTunes) on the NAS, then migrate all iTunes tracks to that share. Then close iTunes and copy the iTunes library files (.itl and .xml) to the share. Then restart iTunes with the shift key held down. A window will prompt you to choose a new library file. Browse to the library file in the share you just created and choose it. Now all your tracks and your library files are in the same share. Point Sonos to the share (as in my post above) and all is well.

---
Please interpret "migrate all iTunes tracks to that share". How do you do that? Within iTunes?
Also
Please interpret "copy the iTunes library files (.itl and .XML) to the share. I can't find any such files. Windows 7 shows an iTunes folder (tithin Music) and other sub-folders (Album Artwork, iPod Games, iTunes Music). But within iTunes Music sub-folder, it only shows folders for artists.

Tks
Ed

Tags
bufalo, itunes, nas