Go Back   Sonos Forums > General Discussion

Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 08:01 AM

Thumbs up Sonos v Squeezebox

After a year of owning a Squeezebox Duet I've now splashed out and am now loving my music all over the house, which I never was able to do with the Squeezebox.

Pros:
Instant response from the controller.
Little dropping out from the Bridge (which was through a 4ft concrete wall 30 ft away past a steel 'H' beam, to a ZP120 sitting near to a microwave in a room with a 2.4mh phone.)
Lovely big touch screen and quality feel to the 200 controller. (Although the ipod touch is good, it is no match to the dedicated controller - wifi power, battery life, response, etc).
Love the concept that I can switch from an internet station such as Deezer to my own music collection in less than 1 second! Fantastic.
Excellent ways to build up playlists and edit and add to queues as you play music.
Seamless streaming through the house when all the sound is exactly the same time in all rooms.

Cons:
Not as many options as the squeezebox, ie not knowing bit rate, music lyrics, able to sort albums by newest added to your collection. But some of this actually distracted me from my music. Who needs apps such as facebook or to scroll through forums when your listening to music?
Would like to see more music sites popping up for Sonos system, eg classicfm.com.
I wish I could get rid of Windows Media from my Contoller Music Menu when ever I have the PC on (I run the Sonos through a Mac)

Similarities. Sound quality was virtually the same on my main hifi system, I can't comment on other 'harder to wifi access' rooms as I never got the Duet or its controller fully working through out the house.

Im not knocking the Squeexe box, but it just wasnt right for me although I struggled for a year to get it right - I really wanted it to work. Then oone day I saw an Ad for a Sonos and just went for it. In the end the Sonos is so far perfect for this household as anyone can just pick it up and start playing music, even impatient technophobes, no faffing or waiting.

So in conclusion, looking forward to saving up and getting the rest of the house musiced up, oh and there is a Squeezebox Duet & controller, fully boxed and wrapped, for sale.

Last edited by Avee; Nov 23rd, 2009 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Sorry no for sale threads, not even Squeezeboxes :D (removed price)
Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 09:06 AM

Thanks for the review as some prospective buyers may also consider the Squeezebox. Your post was auto-moderated because you said "for sale". I approved it now, but removed the price, as for sale threads are not allowed on the Sonos forums.
Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarny1234 View Post
After a year of owning a Squeezebox Duet I've now splashed out and am now loving my music all over the house, which I never was able to do with the Squeezebox.
Looks like we were in the same boat. I had the SB for about 18-months, and experienced many of the same problems. My last threat to take the sledge hammer to the SB controller prompted the wife to give birthday and Christmas presents early.

Sonos absolutely smokes SB for ease of setup and use. I am blind, and there was no way to set the SB up without sighted assistance. I had Sonos up and running with PC Controller in less than two minutes. I did have to get one of my kids to read the Sonos CR 100 screens, but I don't have to use that to enjoy the system.

My only complaints thus far with Sonos is that I now have to fix a load of tags (not the fault of Sonos, it just revealed them) and the lack of full support for replay gain in FLAC.
Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlynn View Post
prompted the wife to give birthday and Christmas presents early.
Yep, same here, wifes birthday 2 days ago, found her blasting out some of her favourite tunes in the kitchen this evening.
Thank you Sonos, job well done!

Last edited by Majik; Feb 16th, 2010 at 09:20 AM. Reason: fixed quoting
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 01:06 PM

"Sonos absolutely smokes SB for ease of setup and use." - True true. I've owned SB for over 18 months and have been enormously frustrated by it's usability. The controller takes an enormous amount of time to respond.

Sonos beats SB in almost every conceivable manner: set-up, ease of use, reliability.

Only drawbacks: Sonos doesn't support WMA Lossless (had to convert my whole library which took 10+ hours) and Album Art isn't instantly recognized either.
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 07:04 AM

I also had a Squeezebox system which is similarly redundant! Whilst the Sonos system seemed at first to be quite expensive (I have several zoneplayers, bridges and S5's so it was quite a big investment), it does so much more than the SB.

We listen to our music so much more - it's a delight to use and I think sets the gold standard for wireless music. The SB was incredibly clunky in comparison with a really horrid user interface. Yuk! Never going back!!

Congratulations to Sonos for such an excellent product - we all really love it in our house!
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilda View Post
I also had a Squeezebox system which is similarly redundant! Whilst the Sonos system seemed at first to be quite expensive (I have several zoneplayers, bridges and S5's so it was quite a big investment), it does so much more than the SB.

We listen to our music so much more - it's a delight to use and I think sets the gold standard for wireless music. The SB was incredibly clunky in comparison with a really horrid user interface. Yuk! Never going back!!

Congratulations to Sonos for such an excellent product - we all really love it in our house!
Same here....purchased my Sonos system after Christmas (2xS5, 2xZp90, 4xCR200) to replace 2 Roku Soundbridge Radios, an SB3 and an SB Duet...none of which I could get reliably working using my wifi network. Finally took the plunge very concerned that I had sunk so much already into this technology, but after less than two months I have a system that is reliable, easy to use and my wife actually likes using herself. An absolute plus. Couldn't be happier!
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albion View Post
.......... and my wife actually likes using herself. An absolute plus. Couldn't be happier!
My 12 year old daughter is already intimate with Sonos - it means Steely Dan is pushed out of the way for McFly!
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilda View Post
My 12 year old daughter is already intimate with Sonos - it means Steely Dan is pushed out of the way for McFly!
I think we both make a very important point...Roku and SB for me were something I was willing to put up with, the less than satisfactory interface etc to access the technology...to a point. My wife on the other hand found such problems, drop-outs, interface issues an absolute barrier to her being able to enjoy the technology.

All she wants to do...quite rightly is turn the thing on and have it work...just like any other stereo component...with Sonos I now finally have that...don't underestimate how major this really is, especially given what the Sonos system can do...it is quite remarkable.

Tags
sonos squeezebox duet