Go Back   Sonos Forums > General Discussion

Old Nov 1st, 2009, 09:48 AM

Default Windows 7 and Desktop Controller

We have just been through hell with infections on my wife's PC and after spending days trying to fix it I gave up and bought a new machine, it was 6 years old after all and was probably a right old mess in its stupid registry. I wish she would use a Mac...

Anyway, this come with Windows 7 and the Desktop Controller honks and won't work, the system telling us maybe the firewall is the problem.

Maybe not - who knows, but it probably is. I am so paranoid now, and so angry, I don't want to do anything that will upset the thing, but I guess all I need to do is go to the firewall and enable the ports that Sonos uses? But will this not enable the same ports for the other foul people who seem to enjoy destroying people's property?

Any suggestions?

Thanks - Lawrence
Old Nov 1st, 2009, 10:19 AM

I just did a clean full install of Windows 7 and reinstalled the desktop controller with no issues. It's a very stable OS...I have a macbook also but I actually prefer Win7 to OS X. Try disabling your firewall.
Old Nov 1st, 2009, 10:48 AM

But I'd just as soon keep the firewall. Is it possible to enable the ports Sonos requires, but just for Sonos?
Old Nov 1st, 2009, 01:03 PM

LawrenceHare,

This FAQ will probably help.
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Digital Expert

Default Win 7 Problems

I have had same problem with Win 7. I have had Sonos for 4 years through XP, Vista, Win 7, WIfi, Homeplug, Itouch. Never any problems. But since installed Win 7 Ultimate cannot connect. Using same firewall on my dual boot Vista partition no problems. using my wifes PC with same firewall and Win 7 Home Premium no problems. But whatever I do cannot get desktop controller to connect. Very frustrating. My friend has Ultimate version and different firewall. Same problem. Even when I diable all protection cannot connect. Help!!!
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 10:12 AM

I've installed the desktop controller on 3 Windows 7 PCs in my network so far ... with no problems or issues.

One of the PCs is running the Ultimate 64-bit version.

Did you do an in-place upgrade from Vista? If so, have you tried uninstalling Sonos desktop and then re-installing it?

Are you running with any sort of virtual machine environment? That can cause problems with the desktop controller finding the zone players. Here's a link to a thread that might apply: http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.p...roller+connect

FWIW, I have MS Virtual PC running on the Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit that is using the Sonos Controller and it hasn't caused any conflicts.
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Digital Expert

Default Win 7 Problems

Hi have solved it and so simple too. I have always used mix of homeplugs and wifi. I have had router going direct into homeplug network and zone player wired into router. This has caused no problems and connections all fine until now. I changed config by removing the ethernet between the router and the zone player and the one between the router and homeplug. I then connected one from zone player to homeplug and one from router to zoneplayer. So router accesses homeplug network via zone player. As soon as I did that voila all works. Play to works on Win 7 too.
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye.surgeon View Post
I just did a clean full install of Windows 7 ... It's a very stable OS...
Are you a long term beta tester ??
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 01:15 PM

I've generally upgraded to each ver of windows but I've generally waited until SP1 each time. in the few of you who have done this's opinion.. would you say Win7 pre-SP1 is more solid than Vista, XP, etc pre-SP1?
Old Nov 28th, 2009, 12:01 PM

Default Fixing Windows 7 Desktop Controller Blocking

I just spent a few minutes trying to figure out why Windows 7 wouldn't connect to my Zoneplayer. I'm running software version 2.8 due to the many stories of audio dropouts with version 3.0+. I just hope I don't get a S5 for Christmas, and I miss not having the iPod Touch app, but I can live with this.

Anyway, when first installing the software, it says that it will adjust Windows Firewall to allow access. It turns out that it only adjusted it for "Public" networks, and not for "Home/Private" networks. I disabled the firewall to get it all working. I then allowed Sonos access via Home/Private networks, re-enabled the firewall, and it's indexing away with no trouble. I probably didn't need to disable the firewall entirely, but it helped with troubleshooting.

I also discovered that W7's Action Center settings don't actually control features like the firewall- the Action Center settings just control *notification* about the firewall. That cost me a few minutes.

The indexing is done and it seems to be working well. In addition to the Windows 7 install, I swapped out my ReadNAS Duo for a Synology DS209+II. So far, so good. Love the Synology as it's more than 3x faster than the ReadyNAS.