Go Back   Sonos Forums > General Discussion

Old Sep 24th, 2009, 01:45 PM

Default Which ripping NAS?

I'm just about to empty the penny jar and get myself the 250 bundle and was wondering which CD ripping NAS you lot would advise I go for to accompany it.

Ideally I'd like one which
  • Dual rips
  • Is both PC and Mac compatible straight out of the box
  • Is/can be RAID 1 configured for back ups
  • Is easy to add storage space to

That's right I want it all

I've looked at RipNas, Musicm8 and AVA RS3. Each has pros and cons and I can't decide, or is there anything else worth considering?

I had a look at the Ripfactory Ripserver but it doesn't seem to be still in production or very well supported.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Avee; Sep 24th, 2009 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Big purple letters
Old Sep 26th, 2009, 12:08 PM

Doesn't anyone have any experience of any of these, or would I be better off posting somewhere else?
Old Sep 26th, 2009, 01:01 PM

Speaking for myself only:

I don't have any experience with these products because they don't make a lot to sense to me from a price : value perspective.

Take RipNAS as an example. As far as I can tell, this is a single-drive 2G RAM/1TB disc PC running Windows Home Server with dBpoweramp installed and configured to auto-rip on CD insertion. They're selling it for $1,365 which is a pretty hefty premium.

There are more economical solutions which separate storage from ripping. If, for example, you wanted to pursue Windows Home Server, you could head to Best Buy (assuming you're in the US) and spend about $750 on an HP 1.5TB MediaSmart Server with a better expansion story than RipNAS (two free bays). You'd then by dBpowerAmp and run it on your existing PC.

If you really like the turnkey dBpoweramp idea, then you could could buy dbPoweramp's RipNAS product and use it to extend your WHS:

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/ripnas-ess...s-purchase.htm

Non-WHS alternatives exist which are also more economical. You might look, for example, at offerings from Netgear and Buffalo.

For me, this isn't just about economics. I personally prefer keeping ripping and metadata management separate from storage. That way, I can evolve the software and workflow I use independent of the storage mechanism(s) I use to store my data.

I'm just guessing, but I think you'll find that while NAS solutions are popular here, combination ripper/storage devices are quite a bit less common than simple storage devices.

By the way, I think dBpoweramp is a great standalone ripper - you might want to download the free version and rip a few cds using it before you commit to a combination device.

Just my personal thoughts...
Old Sep 26th, 2009, 02:00 PM

Why not just RIP and Tag on your computer and buy a regular NAS? Personally I wouldn't pay a premium for anything that's that automated.

Sean
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 12:14 PM

Cheers but I'm definitely decided on a NAS with inbuilt ripping and I'll just take the hit in the wallet.
It's just which one?
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Louis View Post
Cheers but I'm definitely decided on a NAS with inbuilt ripping and I'll just take the hit in the wallet.
It's just which one?
Fair enough. I do hope you find what you're looking for.

Just for clarity, I didn't recommend against the combined unit approach because of sticker shock. I wasn't encouraging you to spend less money - just to spend it differently.

I recommended against the combination solutions because, with one exception, I wouldn't choose any of the products you mentioned as a NAS or as a ripping solution. There are great NAS solutions on the market - I don't know that any of these combination units are in that category (in fact I think they're not). There's also great ripping software out there that can easily be configured to be as turnkey on a PC as ripping is on these combination units.

My recommendation wasn't intended to save you money, it was intended to possibly get you to consider a decoupled solution for long-term scale, flexibility, and reliability.

The one exception I mentioned above relates to the ripping software used in the illustrate RipNAS product. illustrate produces the highly regarded dBpoweramp ripping software. That software is integrated into RipNAS. If I had to choose one of the products in this category, I'd personally choose RipNAS just to get dBpoweramp. Given the choice of separate NAS and ripping software, however, I wouldn't go this route since the base RipNAS is a single-unit solution which uses slower 2.5" laptop drives and requires external drives for extension.

Of course dBpoweramp can also be purchased as a standalone software package for $36US. The standalone software packaged can be configured to run, rip, and exit when a disc is inserted.

I do hope you find the product you're looking for and I hope you let us know what you've chosen.

Best.
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 02:29 PM

Thumbs up

Okay so I've gone with the RipNAS. It's arriving Thursday and I'll let you know my thoughts after it's seen a bit of use.