Go Back   Sonos Forums > Sound Ideas

Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 02:40 AM

Update after last night's testing...

1. Asset...never tried this application as I ran out of time...no reason to believe that it does not work as Ratty suggests as his information has always been spot on...

2. Jamcast works like a charm and is terribly easy to setup...it does NOT appear as a music service [I do not know why]...it does appear/work as an "added radio station"...very very simple to use.

3. Microsoft Media Player as included Windows 7 based on my research will not work as it can only stream content that is played within WMP...I would appreciate someone with more knowledge than me either confirming or correcting this statement...

4. VLC should work but it is anything but obvious to me...the instructions and settings for BOTH i) initiating / setting up streaming within VLC are very confusing and not intuitive and ii) initiating / setting up the radio stations within SONOS are non existent...VLC needs instructions / wiki a la Jamcast to make it a no brainer...

That said, I would be most grateful were someone to provide step-by-step instructions for using VLC to stream audio that is played from./through Internet Explorer to the SONOS...

Thanks to everyone for their assistance noting that I am hopeful that someone will be kind enough to respond to the WMP and VLC portions of this posting...

Again, thanks...

Joel

Last edited by Joelc; Sep 23rd, 2010 at 02:50 AM.
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelc View Post
2. Jamcast works like a charm and is terribly easy to setup...it does NOT appear as a music service [I do not know why]...
You presumably enabled Rhapsody servers in Sonos? I suspect Sonos can be a bit picky about which UPnP servers it displays. Asset was deliberately made to work with Sonos (though it still has some limitations).
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post
You presumably enabled Rhapsody servers in Sonos? I suspect Sonos can be a bit picky about which UPnP servers it displays. Asset was deliberately made to work with Sonos (though it still has some limitations).
Yes, I did but, as you note, to no avail...

The next step is to spend a little -- and by that that I do mean a little -- time trying to get VLC to work as it is an "all-in-one" audio and video engine but I doubt that I will be able to do so without a LOT OF LUCK and/or some kind soul to help me...
Old Nov 26th, 2010, 03:42 PM

Default Jamcast with Sonos

Hi.

The Sonos desktop controller will connect to a Jamcast stream as if Jamcast were a radio station; the Sonos desktop controller does NOT see Jamcast as a UPnP server (so Jamcast will not show up under "Music Services" of the Sonos desktop controller).

To capture a Jamcast stream, you can use the Sonos destop controller to create a new radio station via the "Add New" button. Next, in the "Streaming URL:" field enter

http://<computer_name>:<port#>/Media/audio/mpeg/CaptureStream

where <computer_name> is the name of the computer running Jamcast and <port#> is the port number used by Jamcast (it can be seen on the "Network" tab of the Jamcast Server Manager).

I gotta say, though, I was not so happy with the results. I was streaming MOG (256 to 320kbps) from my laptop to a ZP90. The ZP90 was connected to a surround sound processor. I noticed significant sound artefacts from the surround channels--the type that are common when playing 128kbps (or lower) mp3 files through a surround sound processor. No such artefacts were apparent with a wired connection from the computer playing MOG to the ZP90 (line-in).

I expected to take a bitrate 'hit' when streaming to the ZP90, but the results with Jamcast were unacceptable to me.

By the way, I also tried Asset, which allows you to specify the bitrate of the stream (Jamcast doesn't as far as I could tell). I had to reduce the Asset stream to 192kbps (or lower) to obtain smooth, unchoppy amplified audio. Proximity of equipment was not an issue here.

I did not perform a formal comparison between Jamcast and Asset, but the ability to specify the stream bitrate in Asset is a real plus. With Jamcast, you would have to rely on some other device to obtain information about the stream bitrate. Also, the Sonos desktop controller 'sees' Asset as a UPnP.

HTH
Old Nov 27th, 2010, 05:26 AM

Default Streaming audio out from PC/Mac

Here is my proposal, I propose that Sonos should produce some sort of wireless USB dongle that can stream directly into the Sonos mesh system.

Bose has already released a SoundLink system which does roughly the same thing. However the SoundLink is only linked to a single speaker, thus giving Sonos the leading edge here.

It would be great if Sonos would be able to release a wireless dongle that can be streamed directly to a ZoneBridge so that it can be picked up as a secondary source, this wireless dongle does not even have to control what music the computer plays, it just takes all the audio out from the computer and streams it into the mesh network.

This way, if and when I would like to stream any form of audio out from my computer, I would not need to place my computer beside my S5 and use the line-in feature. The dongle can even be viewed as another "line-in" on the Sonos controller.
Old Nov 27th, 2010, 09:17 AM

I don't see why the Zonebridge couldn't be used for this, as it would likely sit next to a desktop computer anyway. Just add a usb port to it to allow it to be used as a soundcard.

Being able to play music locally on a computer, through the same speakers, in sync with the Sonos mesh would be a huge feature.
Old Nov 28th, 2010, 05:25 AM

Well in sync with the whole "wireless" philosophy of Sonos, I would rather them make a wireless USB dongle. Also, not all of us have our routers beside our computers. Personally, the only thing connected to my router is the Zonebridge, every computer on my house is on wireless.

I just do not see why Sonos is not able to do it, while Bose can easily provide the same functionality, albeit to 1 speaker. Sonos can just stream it to a different source, after all they make us buy the Zonebridge already.
Old Nov 28th, 2010, 07:49 AM

Spuddy,

Using this approach, the computer's audio passing through the SONOS dongle would never be exactly in sync with the audio presented directly by the computer. There will be a delay of about 70msec. I could not tolerate this delay.

There are some non trivial hardware issues involved with keeping things in sync. This is one reason why BOSE limits users to a single zone. If the dongle was as complex as the ZP90 and the computer's speakers were connected through the dongle, the computer's speakers could be synchronized with the other SONOS zones, but one would still be stuck with that 70msec delay between computer events and audio output from the dongle. In most cases this will not be a major issue, but hard core gamers might be upset.

Personally, I prefer silent computers. I don't have any speakers connected to my desktop computers and the laptops are muted.

Last edited by buzz; Nov 29th, 2010 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Typo
Old Nov 29th, 2010, 12:45 PM

That is a fair point to make buzz.

However, it would be convenient to be given that option as well. I would certainly pay an extra 40 pounds or so for such a device. I am not a hardcore gamer, and it would be handy to be given the option to just stream an online video for example into the zones.

Also, it would come in extremely handy when friends come over for a party for example and bring their music with them. It would be fairly inconvenient to have them install the Sonos controller just for a one event thing.

For those that don't mind the 70ms delay, i'm sure they will appreciate this device. Just my 2 pennies.
Old Nov 29th, 2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuddy View Post
Also, it would come in extremely handy when friends come over for a party for example and bring their music with them. It would be fairly inconvenient to have them install the Sonos controller just for a one event thing.
If the music arrives on a friends computer, if the friend allows the music to be shared on the network, one could include that share in the SONOS library for the evening.

If the music arrives on an iPhone/iTouch the WirelessDock is great.