Go Back   Sonos Forums > Internet Radio

Old Jun 4th, 2009, 03:43 PM

Default BBC iPlayer

This is probably a silly question

I frequently make use of RadioTime to pull podcasts from the BBC into my favourites list under the Sonos Radio settings and find this a great service. However there a couple of shows that don't actually get listed on RadioTime although they DO appear on the BBC iPlayer as part of their listen again feature.

Is there a way of streaming these shows through Sonos via some sort of URL link rather than having to sit at the PC and listen on the iPlayer itself????

Cheers
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 11:35 PM

What shows?
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 01:06 AM

Hi mrpon

This one for instance

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...at_Reminds_Me/
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 01:23 AM

Well that programme can be found on RadioTime here, and supposedly most things on RT should be available on Sonos.

However, I see that this is a RealAudio stream and Sonos doesn't support this. So you're out of luck I'm afraid.

You could always use the Line Out option from your PCs soundcard of course to a Sonos Line In.

Good luck.
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 06:42 AM

Thanks mrpon

Don't know if you've noticed although it is listed on the RadioTime site it does have a message at the top of the page in the Yellow Box saying that it isn't available through RadioTime

Mind you being a Real Audio stream it doesn't make any difference anyway I guess.

My pc is a laptop so I can't connect it to the line out. I guess we'll have to listen old stylee with the pc open on the table, how very last century

Sonos has spoilt me
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldyBouncer View Post
Thanks mrpon

Don't know if you've noticed although it is listed on the RadioTime site it does have a message at the top of the page in the Yellow Box saying that it isn't available through RadioTime

Mind you being a Real Audio stream it doesn't make any difference anyway I guess.

My pc is a laptop so I can't connect it to the line out. I guess we'll have to listen old stylee with the pc open on the table, how very last century

Sonos has spoilt me
Yes I noticed that. If it was a supportable stream for Sonos, you could inform RT and they make sure the stream is working/add it if it is missing.

Do you not have a headphone socket on your laptop? Most (mine does) have config tools that when enabled allow you to specify what you're plugging into the socket ie: headphones or line out device.

OT: I output my netbook sounds to my TV for catch TV stuff etc.. Same principle will work for Sonos.
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 10:05 AM

Thanks for the help I might try that