Go Back   Sonos Forums > Digital Expert

Old May 24th, 2009, 08:52 PM

Default Pandora One??

Just got a note from Pandora indicating that they've upgraded their music stream to 192Kbps for those of us that have a paid subscription with Pandora. Can anyone shed light on this upgraded stream with Sonos? Do all subscribers now get upgraded streaming rate or is there some special action that we need to take?
Old May 26th, 2009, 01:59 PM

I just got the same email from Pandora and came here to ask the same (similar) question.

This line in the FAQ seems to say we will NOT be getting high quality audio automatically:
"Note: High Quality audio is currently available only for Pandora on the Web and the Pandora One Desktop Application"

The Sonos code probably has to be updated to support the high quality stream, so my question is "when?".
Old May 27th, 2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapmasterT View Post
This line in the FAQ seems to say we will NOT be getting high quality audio automatically:
"Note: High Quality audio is currently available only for Pandora on the Web and the Pandora One Desktop Application"
You're absolutely correct - as it stands right now, Pandora has not allowed any third party system (including your Sonos!) to connect to their new Pandora One service

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapmasterT View Post
The Sonos code probably has to be updated to support the high quality stream, so my question is "when?".
The question is more "when?" will they allow third party support. As always we don't release information about future or upcoming product releases, but so long as they disallow third party support for this new product, no amount of code we write will be able to take advantage of it.
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:36 AM

I would think that the current SONOS code will simply recognize the stream's bit rate and render the file accordingly. If this is true, any of the services could change the bit rate of a supported format and we will immediately experience the result -- on a track by track basis.
Old Mar 12th, 2010, 01:48 PM

Wink

Bump. Any update on the 192kbps stream feed from Pandora One to Sonos? I'm ready to drop my $36/year.
Old Mar 12th, 2010, 02:22 PM

When I asked Pandora on Twitter regarding third-party devices they had told me that all devices will get the higher stream when you pay for One. Your username is flagged to deliver the 192kbps stream instead of the normal stream. No changes are required in any of the apps/devices that connect to Pandora.
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 03:35 PM

Here's the email reply I received today from Pandora support, so it appears that you won't get the 192kbps stream delivered via Sonos devices. I think I read somewhere that the free Pandora web stream is 64 kbps and that Sonos devices get 128 kbps. I wonder if there's an easy way to confirm this?

Date: Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 1:41 PM
Subject: Re: Pandora One and Sonos ...
To: me
Cc: pandora-support@pandora.com

Hi,
Thanks for writing and for your interest in Pandora One! You can use the exact same account on your computer as on any supported device. As long as you sign in with the same email address and Pandora password, you'll have access to the same stations and preferences.

The major difference between Pandora One for devices is that we don't offer the highest quality audio option, which currently only appears for Pandora One on the Web – however, there will be no ads, and you'll have unlimited listening hours.

For more info on Pandora One, please check here: http://www.pandora.com/pandora_one

Hope this helps. Thanks for listening!
--
thanks, Jonathan
Pandora Listener Support
More questions about Pandora? Please check our FAQ: http://blog.pandora.com/faq/
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 05:59 PM

Well I feel like an idiot. I paid for my Pandora One but just read this. It is a pity Pandora won't allow third party devices to stream the higher stream. On the positive side- I don't have to worry if I let Pandora go all day.
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 10:15 AM

Default Pandora One

I wanted to bump this thread to see if there has been any update. I would like to know if I will get the upgraded stream rate before I subscribe to Pandora One.

Thanks.
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 07:23 AM

Don't our iPhones allow us to choose the higher quality stream? I guess that is fine since Pandora makes the app. Was a bit disappointed to read this as I thought we would get 192 with our paid subscriptions no matter what device. Maybe it is a bandwidth thing and Pandora is concerned?