Go Back   Sonos Forums > Getting Started with Sonos

Old May 5th, 2009, 09:19 AM

Prey521,

1x will be fine in your application.

I have no experience with that particular control, but they seem OK on paper.

With any of these controls make sure that the control can fit in the wall box. I recommend using the largest plastic box that you can find. A simple ring is the easiest solution to work with. Or, cut the back out of a plastic box.
Old May 5th, 2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz View Post
Prey521,

1x will be fine in your application.

I have no experience with that particular control, but they seem OK on paper.

With any of these controls make sure that the control can fit in the wall box. I recommend using the largest plastic box that you can find. A simple ring is the easiest solution to work with. Or, cut the back out of a plastic box.
Hi Buzz, thanks!

Our electricians are mounting 4 4 gang boxes (1 for each zone) and the controls will be mounted into each. I just have to make sure that the controls are set to 1x prior to installation.

Thanks again!

Quick question....what would happen if I ran 2 speakers into 1 control...how would that affect the impedance? Would I then have to change it to 2x/4x?
Old May 5th, 2009, 09:39 AM

Prey521,

Yes, you will need to change the 'x'.

I always recommend using one control per area, never control two areas with one control. It is not the case that something will break, only that the result is awkward to operate. Mostly, this means one control per pair of speakers.
Old May 5th, 2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Prey521,

Yes, you will need to change the 'x'.

I always recommend using one control per area, never control two areas with one control. It is not the case that something will break, only that the result is awkward to operate. Mostly, this means one control per pair of speakers.
Gotcha...in our case, we will only be controlling 1 speaker per control. I assume that that shouldn't be a problem, but since you mentioned 1 pair, I wanted to bring it up.
Old May 5th, 2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prey521 View Post
Gotcha...in our case, we will only be controlling 1 speaker per control.
I assume that you are dealing with a mono source. SONOS does not provide an option to convert a stereo source into mono. If you are using a stereo source, take care that each area has access to both channels.
Old May 5th, 2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
I assume that you are dealing with a mono source. SONOS does not provide an option to convert a stereo source into mono. If you are using a stereo source, take care that each area has access to both channels.
Good point Buzz. The speakers that will be in each zone will be near each other, so it shouldn't be a problem. We'll just be streaming background music for the most part and I doubt that the people would notice the difference much...though I probably would LOL