Go Back   Sonos Forums > General Discussion

Old Mar 29th, 2009, 07:10 AM

Default Using Sonos to listen to TV Audio

Hi I am in the process of building a new home and planning out a housewide audio system.

In addition to streaming digital music, one of the things i would also like to do is have the ability to listen to music sourced from my cable tv (ie music channels etc.) in my outdoor area.

My plan is as follows:
I intend to have my outdoor speakers connected to a ZP120.

My cable tv receiver will connect to av receiver (not yet purchased and both in the main living area) via hdmi cable.

i was hoping to then use the zone 2 preamp line out jack of the av reciever to run an analogue line from the av receiver to the audio input of the zp120. I fugure the zp120 will play whatever is playing from zone 2 of the av receiver.

Has anyone configured their system this way? If so how is volume controlled? with av reciever remote or the sonos remote or both?

Please excuse my ignorance on this topic, I'm very much a newbie!

Thanks
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 08:22 AM

acqua,

First post! Welcome to the forums.

Your scheme can work, but there are surprises.

The Zone2 output of your receiver is obviously an analog signal and this can be plugged into the Line-In of a ZonePlayer. This Line-In can be played on any ZonePlayer. The "surprise" is that your receiver will not convert the digital audio from the HDMI to analog for the Zone2 output.

An easy work around is to simultaneously connect the analog output from the cable box to the same input on your receiver. Most receivers support this sort of connection and the analog version will be passed to Zone2 out while the HDMI will be processed for direct listening.

As and additional "surprise", some digital sources will block the analog output when the HDMI connection is active. You'll need to try your cable box to see if the analog block is a "feature" of your cable box.

In my area the quality of music on the cable system is, er ..., disappointing. SONOS offers a rich selection of online services and Internet Radio, I think that you will be leaving the cable music service behind after day one of SONOS.

Another surprise is that there is an encoding delay between a SONOS Line-In and the output. This means that music playing from a ZonePlayer will be delayed with respect to the direct sound from the receiver. The exact result is difficult to predict because there are multiple delays in the cable box and your receiver, but you should not assume that the SONOS output and the direct sound from the receiver will be exactly aligned.

As a practical matter, the delay will be annoying if a direct and a SONOS output are playing in the same room. If the music is playing in separate rooms, the delay will be noticeable as you move between rooms, but will probably not be an issue in either room.
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 08:29 AM

One of the fortunate consequences of the analog to digital Tv transition is that digital Tv tuners are available cheap ($40 to nearly nothing with coupon). The analog output of the digital Tv tuner can be plugged into the input of the Zone Player. And the Tv station tuned by the digital tuner can then be heard on any Zone Player. I have one digital Tv tuner that I use for that purpose.

There is a tiny issue in that I don't have a display connected to the digital Tv tuner so tuning must be done without benefit of visual feedback. But with my tuner, I can enter the digits of the Tv channel and my digital Tv receiver goes to the selected channel.
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 12:43 PM

I want to second what Buzz said, I think you will find that the selection of free music with Pandora, Last FM, and Internet Radio you will no longer find a need for the cable music channels. Is there a specific cable music channel or channels that you like?

I really like Pandora, you can set up stations based on an artist and it will play songs from that artist and similar artists. I have found some great tracks this way. You can even take it one step further by using Sonos to "mark" a track on Pandora and then later log onto your account and purcahse that track DRM free from Amazon.

Mike
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 07:08 PM

I have this exact setup, but I use it to listen to the TV audio while in the kitchen. This means that we also have the TV audio on in the family room. I could not get the receiver to work properly, so my workaround was to just use the analog line out on the TV and just feed that into the line-in on the SONOS. Works perfectly and the delay is not noticeable anough for me to think its annoying. The volume in the kitchen is controlled though SONOS. I am very happy with the setup. Now I just need to figure out what to do with all those blank faceplates I have around the house from pre-wiring the whole house for whole house audio. With SONOS, I don't need that part of the install anymore