Go Back   Sonos Forums > Digital Expert

Old Jan 17th, 2009, 03:06 PM

Default Sonos and airport extreme setup

Hello,

I have just replaced my D-Link router with an Airport Extreme. Everything works fine regarding internet connection, but when I try to add my ZP80 to the Airport Extreme and run the Sonos Setup Assistant for the Controller it can't find the ZP80 (it says: "The Sonos Controller couldn’t finish connecting to the ZonePlayer. Please try again."). My setup is:

A 2 GHz PowerPC G5 with Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.6. My AirPort Extreme is connected with an ethernet cable to my computer and to my modem. The ZP80 is also connected with an ethernet cable to the AirPort Extreme. My second ZP80 is connected to my HIFI receiver.

I have tried to reset the controller, modem and Airport Extreme without any luck - and my firewall is set to "Allow all incoming connections". So my question is if anyone has experience with AirPort Extreme/Sonos configurations.

Thanks

Paul
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 03:49 PM

Langkjaer,

Are you working with a SONOS handheld controller or a desktop controller?

If you have a SONOS handheld controller, you can set-up your SONOS system without a computer. At that point you should be able to play Internet radio. If you cannot play Internet Radio, then the Airport is blocking the SONOS. If you can play Internet Radio from a handheld controller, you have a firewall issue on the computer or the Airport is blocking SONOS from working with computers on your wired network.

If you have found out how, do not factory reset any SONOS components unless asked to do so by SONOS support. A factory reset will not fix this sort of issue and it will make diagnosis harder. You can reboot the SONOS gear.

I'm not sure what you mean by "try to add my ZP80 to the Airport Extreme". In my experience a SONOS system will work using the default settings on an Airport Extreme.
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 04:11 PM

Thanks for answering.

I'm using the desktop controller, but I also have the handheld controller.
At the time I can only see one of the ZP80 on the handheld controller (the one connected to my recevier). When I try to play internet radio it cannot connect and it is not possible (via the handheld controller) to add the Zoneplayer connected to my Airport Extreme.

As you point out I think that my AirPort is blocking SONOS, but I don't know how to solve this problem. Any ideas?
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 06:56 AM

Langkjaer,

Since you have been operating in panic mode for a while, it is difficult for us to imagine what has been poked, prodded, or reset.

As a quick reality check, review the wired connections to the Airport Extreme. Make sure that the modem is connected to the WAN port and everything else is connected to the LAN ports. I find that those little icons can be confusing.

Below, I'll assume that all of your SONOS components worked as a system before you switched to the Airport.

Power down everything on your network -- including the modem and the Airport Extreme.

Apply power to the modem and wait until it is fully up before applying power to the Airport. Wait for the Airport to show the green light before moving to the next step.

Next, as a known restart point, gather the ZonePlayers at a single location and apply power. Reboot the handheld controller by simultaneously pressing and holding Mute and Music. At this point all of the ZonePlayers should be visible from the handheld controller if you go to [Music Menu] --> System Settings --> About Your Multi-Room Music System. You will not be able to play anything, but you will be able to change volume and mute any zone. If a ZonePlayer is missing, add it to your system from [Music Menu] --> System Settings --> Add a ZonePlayer or ZoneBridge. Unless you have defective hardware or some sort of heavy RF interference, you will have a fully functional system. Again, the system cannot play music because it is isolated from the world.

Now, power down the ZonePlayers and wire one of them to the Airport. Power up the ZonePlayers and reboot the handheld controller. At this point, unless the Airport is blocking the SONOS system, you should be able to play Internet Radio using the handheld controller.

Again, do not factory reset any SONOS components as this will complicate the issue.

Let us know the results. Now we will be starting from a known point and we can start looking for Airport and computer firewall issues.

By the way, which router are you using? Where is your music stored? Do you have a NAS (Network Attached Storage)?
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 06:34 PM

Thanks for your reply,

I followed your instructions carefully – and everything came up as you described. The only thing that didn't work was playing internet radio.

When I wired the ZP80 to my AirPort Extreme it disappered from the Handheld Controller and is now located on my Desktop Controller instead. My second ZP80 (the one wired to my receiver) is still located on the Handheld Controller. From the Desktop Controller I can't add any Zoneplayer. Via the Handheld Controller I can only add the Zoneplayer wired to my receiver.

My computer is wired via an ethernet to the AirPort Extreme and the AirPort is connected (also with an ethernet cable) to my modem. The first ZP80 is wired to the AirPort Extreme and my second ZP80 is connected to my HIFI receiver. This is the only connections I have.

My music is stored on my computer on a second internal harddrive. I do not have NAS.

As I mentioned earlier my Firewall is set to "Allow all incoming connections" and I'm not running any separate security program (Norton etc.).

I hope you have some ideas for my next move.

Best regards

Paul