Go Back   Sonos Forums > General Discussion

Old Jul 28th, 2005, 10:04 AM
Digital Expert

Post Can you have a line out signal split multiple times?

I am building a new house and I am trying to get Sonos to about 11 rooms in the house without spending a bunch of money. Has anyone had any luck running the amplifier on the zone player to one or two pairs of speakers and also splitting the line out to multiple A/V receivers? I already have 4 that I would like to utilize.

Also has anyone had success running one or two pairs of speakers from the Sonos amp and also sending the line out signal to a Russound Abus system to power speakers in the rest of the house?

I am considering two Zone Players and the rest using the 4 amps and/or ABUS system.

What are the disadvantages as far as volume control? Any input would be helpful.

Last edited by SSaudio; Jul 28th, 2005 at 09:40 PM.
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 11:42 AM

SSaudio,

The line-out is completely independent of the ZonePlayer's built in amplifier so you should have no problem using both at the same time.

You can also safely run 2 pairs of speakers off the built in amp as long as you follow the guidelines in this FAQ.

As far as splitting the audio to multiple amps from the line-out, I have never tried it with any piece of equipment before but I would assume each time it was split it would weaken the signal. Maybe someone else can shed some light there?

-Sean
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 12:05 PM

SSaudio,
The thing to remember is that that although the speaker output and low lever output are separate the volume control works for both.

To split the low level 11 ways isn't ideal. I would feed a pre-amp and have that feed your amplifiers.
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 12:10 PM

SSaudio,

Running four amplifiers from a single line out will work in most cases. You will need to build a very ugly looking, often unreliable matrix of Y-connectors. A few amplifiers, designed for installation work, allow one to "chain" a series of amplifiers to accomplish what you want. essentially, the Y-connectors are built-in to the amplifier.

If you run into trouble or don't like the ugly matrix, look into a "Line Amplifier". These devices have a small amount of electronics inside and will allow one line out to be split into many while solving any potential problems with the simple Y-connector scheme.

Beyond four, I don't recommend the simple Y-connector scheme.

Be on the lookout for an obscure, but nasty to diagnose, problem that can occur when one or more of the Y-connected amplifiers is turned off. You will hear mild or severe distortion or possibly no sound. Turning on all of the amplifiers will solve the problem.

Finally, unless the amplifiers have an automatic power option, there will be no easy way to control their power ON/OFF.

Last edited by buzz; Jul 28th, 2005 at 12:12 PM.
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 09:30 PM
Digital Expert

Thanks for the input - it seems if you try to run the line out to one room and the amp. on the ZP to another at the same time, you are going to have volume level problems between the two rooms. Would an alternative be to have the ZP's Amp run to a volume controller and then to a speaker? Then you could turn the volume up on the ZP to allow a higher input level to the A/V Amp and adjust the second room with the seperate speaker volume control?
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 05:25 AM
Digital Expert

Default May need a line amp

As installers, we have had a little experience of this. It depends on the output voltage of the Sonos at line level (i.e. how 'strong' the signal is which comes out of the phono outputs).

To overcome a low level output, you could use a box such as this:

http://www.kramerelectronics.com/ind...em.asp?pic=185

The other potential issue is hum, which can occur if you effectively join the ground on several pieces of kit by using Y connectors.

We have found that you can split the signal once on most bits of kit and get away with it. 4 times may be a push.

I hope that helps.
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSaudio
Thanks for the input - it seems if you try to run the line out to one room and the amp. on the ZP to another at the same time, you are going to have volume level problems between the two rooms. Would an alternative be to have the ZP's Amp run to a volume controller and then to a speaker? Then you could turn the volume up on the ZP to allow a higher input level to the A/V Amp and adjust the second room with the seperate speaker volume control?
Individual spaeker volume controls are recommended. Put them out in the rooms.