Go Back   Sonos Forums > General Discussion

Old Oct 31st, 2008, 02:26 AM

Default How to hard reset ZP?

I am having problem with one ZP keep dropping out of Sonos network. Most of my ZPs are hardwired to home network except 3 ZPs. One of non-wired ZP randomly drops out of network. It needs to be unplugged and replugged for it to rejoin the Sonos network. Funny thing is that this ZP is not too far from other wired ZPs so I dont think it is due to WIFI range or signal strength.

Even when this ZP drops out of Sonos network, I can still see this ZP on my home network (ie, my router still see it and assigns IP address) and I can locate ZP from computer.

Is there a way to perform factory reset on ZP other than power cycling?
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 02:35 AM

Yes, turn on the ZP with the mute button held in. It should flash orange to indicate the reset is taking place.

Search the forums for factory reset before you do this, or ideally contact Sonos support first. Your problems may not be resolved by this reset.

Good luck.
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocomonsters View Post
Is there a way to perform factory reset on ZP other than power cycling?
Do NOT perform a factory reset unless instructed to do so, there is no point. All it does it wipe out your configuration details and clear all the error logs.

Contact Sonos support now BEFORE you wipe the logs they will need to diagnose the problem.
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 10:30 AM

Factory reset rarely resolves a problem.

I recommend factory reset ONLY at the request of SONOS support. There are very useful diagnostic logs stored in the ZonePlayers. SONOS support can access these logs and discover issues. Factory reset destroys these logs and hinders problem resolution.

Chocomonsters, you probably have a wireless or a hardware issue. Factory reset will not help any more than a reboot, and you have found that this was not a true resolution to your issue. I suggest that you contact SONOS support. Unlike many support desks you may have used, SONOS support staff are sharp, concerned, and can solve problems.
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz View Post
Factory reset rarely resolves a problem.

I recommend factory reset ONLY at the request of SONOS support. There are very useful diagnostic logs stored in the ZonePlayers. SONOS support can access these logs and discover issues. Factory reset destroys these logs and hinders problem resolution.

Chocomonsters, you probably have a wireless or a hardware issue. Factory reset will not help any more than a reboot, and you have found that this was not a true resolution to your issue. I suggest that you contact SONOS support. Unlike many support desks you may have used, SONOS support staff are sharp, concerned, and can solve problems.
Thanks everyone, I will check with Sonos support first.

Buzz, were you referring to WiFI wireless network issue or Sonos mesh wireless network?
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocomonsters View Post
Buzz, were you referring to WiFI wireless network issue or Sonos mesh wireless network?
The SONOS network is very solid, but it needs to fetch IP addresses from the router. If the router is giving out duplicate IP addresses, there is not much that SONOS can do about that. Some routers have trouble working with other aspects of the SONOS network.

SONOS is on the leading edge of devices found in the home that require real network support. Some of the older or cheaper routers will do fine with a computer or two, but fall flat with SONOS.

SONOS wireless ignores WiFi and WiFi ignores SONOS, but you can improve the throughput of both networks if you use different RF channels.

Both WiFi and SONOS wireless are limited by the physics of the situation, such as range, interference, or dense walls.

My reboot sequence minimizes the likelyhood that the router will mix things up, however, there is still room for mischief. I'm using FIOS and the supplied modem has quite a reputation for messing things up. After the recent SONOS update, the SONOS was fine, but the networked printer disappeared. Sometimes it is SONOS or a computer that has trouble, there is no end of the "fun and games" with this router.