Go Back   Sonos Forums > General Discussion

Old Sep 8th, 2008, 10:52 AM

Default Sonos Controllers battery?

I have had my sonos for about 9 month and like it very much, but, and there are always a but.

My Sonos Controller have a battery problem i think. It is always placed in the cradel when not in use, and every ime i lift it the battery say Low and then shut off the controler in about 10-15 second.

Then i place it back in the cradel, and it shows me that is about to charge the battery, but it dont. because the next day when i lift off the Sonos Controller the same happens.

Some one elese have this problem or know the solution of this ?
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 11:18 AM

I suggest you call Sonos support.....
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejgaard View Post
I have had my sonos for about 9 month and like it very much, but, and there are always a but.

My Sonos Controller have a battery problem i think. It is always placed in the cradel when not in use, and every ime i lift it the battery say Low and then shut off the controler in about 10-15 second.

Then i place it back in the cradel, and it shows me that is about to charge the battery, but it dont. because the next day when i lift off the Sonos Controller the same happens.

Some one elese have this problem or know the solution of this ?
I think everone (except the fanboys) agrees that the controller batteries sucks.

You would think that at this day and age it should be possible to design a piece of hardware with decent battery life and with batteries that does not degrade as fast at the controller batteries does.
Just look at Nokia, they have managed to do it.

Have you tried to plug the charger directly into the controller?
One of my two controllers will not charge in the cradle and needs to be plugged directly to the charger.

/gunnar
- running for cover
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somby View Post
One of my two controllers will not charge in the cradle and needs to be plugged directly to the charger.

/gunnar
- running for cover
i have not but will try now .... what should be the difference?
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somby
One of my two controllers will not charge in the cradle and needs to be plugged directly to the charger
That's not related to the quality of (or lack of) the battery. If it charges via the plug and not the cradle, it's either a problem with the cradle itself (internal wiring and contacts) or the controller (contacts and cabling to the charging board).

If the battery fails to charge via either method, then the battery may be at fault.

I don't think the actual battery in the controller is any better or worse than others. These days, rechargeable batteries to seem to have a fairly high failure rate and/or reduced life. Just need to look at the number of issues and recalls relating to batteries to see that.

A call to support would make sense also. Especially once you know if the plug charges or not.

db
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 10:49 PM

i have now tried to charge my controler directly, but i makes no difference ... so conclution must be that the battery is dead?
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 03:37 AM

possibly, but the conclusion is you need to call support.

db
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 07:32 AM

I have now had a chat with the technical support and Gordon helped me, by accepting to replace my controler .... just have to go to my local dealer and the shall replace my CR100
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalBoy View Post
I don't think the actual battery in the controller is any better or worse than others. These days, rechargeable batteries to seem to have a fairly high failure rate and/or reduced life. Just need to look at the number of issues and recalls relating to batteries to see that.
db
The manufacturing faults with batteries is a totally different thing.

What Sonos has done wrong is to design a controller around a "cheapo" Chinese made battery. It is probably not only the battery's fault, but the electronics design is not geared for maximising battery life. The controller makes me feel I am back in the early 90's when mobile phones and their nicad batteries behaved similary.

And it is not only Sonos who don't know how to do a proper design. Just look at Apple with the **** battery life of their iPhone, especially the latest 3G model.

Sonos should headhunt an electronics engineer from someone who knows how to design battery efficient hardware. like e.g. Nokia, Sony-Ericsson, etc.

It is something wrong when my 2 year old Nokia still last me a full days usage, while my 2 year old Sonos controller dies somewhere mid day.

/gunnar
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 12:16 PM

Now I'm confused with what you are saying is the problem.
Quote:
I think everone (except the fanboys) agrees that the controller batteries sucks.
I was pointing out that the battery could be just as good (or as bad) as everything else. It's much more complicated. There could be an issue with the charging module for example (although this is possibly generic rather than a bespoke Sonos design).

But I think you now agree with me (?)
Quote:
It is probably not only the battery's fault, but the electronics design is not geared for maximising battery life.
Regardless, it's difficult taking isolated cases. For example, my 3yr old Sonos controllers still function the way they did the day I bought them. In the meantime, I've gone through 2 cell batteries (Nokia ironically).

It's dangerous to draw conclusions based on a microscopic sample size (ie just me). I might have got the 1 bad cell battery and the 1 good Sonos one.

db