Go Back   Sonos Forums > Getting Started with Sonos

Old Sep 14th, 2013, 04:58 AM

Default Play 5 losing connection

Hi, I have a Connect wired to my router which has been fine. I bought a Play5 for the kitchen this week, all setup fine and it worked fine all yesterday. Today though it keeps losing connection, not showing on the CR200 or Android. Switching the Play5 off/on usually fixes it. It's lost connection several times now.

Does the Play5 connect to my Connect or to my router? My Connect is tucked away in a cabinet so thought that may be an issue
Old Sep 14th, 2013, 05:04 AM

dave77,

SONOS ignores WiFi, however, SONOS does use the WiFi band. You can minimize interference by setting your router to channel 1, 6, or 11 and avoid using "Wide" or "20MHz" channels. Also, avoid using the SONOS wireless channel.

It is possible that the PLAY:5 is at the edge of its operating range, or there could be some wireless interference. Potential interference candidates are rogue WiFi access points, microwave ovens, 2.4GHz baby monitors or wireless security cameras, and 2.4GHz cordless phones.
Old Sep 14th, 2013, 06:13 AM

thanks for the reply.

My router is on 11 and Sonos is using 6. The Play5 is about 10 metres from the Connect so should be fine, no other items to interfere with it.

Do you know if the Play5 is connecting to my Connect or to my router
Old Sep 14th, 2013, 06:29 AM

The Play:5 talks to your wired component, i.e. the Connect.

If everything was fine yesterday, there are no obvious sources of RF interference, and you keep losing the Play:5 from the controller you may have stumbled into an IP address conflict.

Power everything on the network off -- including smartphones, networked TVs, etc -- and restart in order:
- router
- wired Sonos devices
- wireless Sonos devices
- everything else

Wait for each device to reboot fully before moving to the next.