Go Back   Sonos Forums > Getting Started with Sonos

Old Jun 22nd, 2013, 01:00 PM

Default Connecting play 5 to TV

Hi I have just set up a sonos play 5 with a bridge. The bridge and speaker is great but I want to connect the play 5 to my Panasonic Viera TV. I have tried to use a RCA cable with 3.5 jack plug but it does not work. I am not sure how easy it should be to make it work. But does anyone have any suggestions please. I have tried the audio out from the TV in fact I have tried all the sockets that fit a RCA connector.

Thanks for any advice.
Old Jun 25th, 2013, 05:54 AM

I haven't tried what your asking HB, but if you've selected Line In on the play 5, and your coming out of Audio Out on the Panasonic TV, and your still not hearing anything, I'd check to see if the RCAs on the Viera are actually audio out. On our Viera, the only Audio Out is a Digital Optical out that requires a Digital to Analog converter.

The Panasonic website has an article titled 'How to connect to an audio system' that covers what you're asking.
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 06:23 AM

I've done this with a stereo pair of Play:5s from a Panasonic Viera. You need to use the optical output into a digital to analogue convertor and connect this to the line-in on one of the Play:5s. You also need to mute the TV sound using the "Hotel" settings. On my set you enter this menu by holding the Vol + button on the side of the set and pressing the TV button on the remote 3 times. Don't change anything except the maximum volume setting which should be set to zero. (This is only necessary if you want to disable the volume control on the TV remote. If you are happy just turning the TV volume down then forget the Hotel setting changes)

Last edited by Grandad Gadget; Jul 1st, 2013 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Clarify use of TV settings
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 06:39 AM

I don't have a Panasonic, but on my Sony there are TV settings regarding the headphone socket and these need to be set a particular way to get sound out of this (I assume the TV has a headphone socket as you refer to a 3.5 jack plug...?)

Last edited by redhanded; Jul 1st, 2013 at 06:45 AM.
Old Jul 5th, 2013, 01:39 PM

I've also just done this with a Samsung TV. I set the TV to external speakers and the Sonos to Line-in. I also used a Digital to Analogue converter, using a Toslink from the TV and and RCA to 3.5m jack to the Sonos.

You can then set the Sonos to Auto with Line-in, this switches the Sonos to Line-in when you switch the TV on, whether you are listening to music or it is not being used.

Very impressed so far.
Old Dec 10th, 2013, 09:03 PM

Default TV to Play 5

I am trying to connect a Panasonic VT50 to my two play5's and sonos sub. Toslink out only.
I do not want a soundbar and feel I should not have to buy a connect. Several people have said that they have solved this problem with a DAC. This seems a good way to go. Can anyone recommend a unit that they have found to work? They seem to range from about 35$ to several thousand. For what I want, I would think that about a 100 should be doable but after all this would not want to just keep throwing money at it with no solution. I really need this to work.
Regards
Tom
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoma View Post
I am trying to connect a Panasonic VT50 to my two play5's and sonos sub. Toslink out only.
I do not want a soundbar and feel I should not have to buy a connect. Several people have said that they have solved this problem with a DAC. This seems a good way to go. Can anyone recommend a unit that they have found to work? They seem to range from about 35$ to several thousand. For what I want, I would think that about a 100 should be doable but after all this would not want to just keep throwing money at it with no solution. I really need this to work.
Any budget DAC would do the job, such as http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005PWPUW6

Make sure the TV is set to output PCM stereo.
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 06:26 AM

Default Many Thanks

Just ordered Orei DA 34x from Amazon
has good reviews; be here tomorrow
Tom
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoma View Post
Just ordered Orei DA 34x from Amazon
Okay. In that case ignore the comment about setting TV output to PCM. That DAC can cope with Dolby Digital.
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 08:29 AM

Default Thanks Again

Thank you
Tom