Go Back   Sonos Forums > General Discussion

Old Oct 7th, 2011, 12:51 PM

Default iPad Music Tag/Info Editor?

Hi

Is anyone aware of an app on the iPad that would allow me to edit the music tag/information on mp3s etc.
Old Oct 7th, 2011, 02:33 PM

I'm confused by the request - are you looking to edit and modify music on your iPad on the fly (like music from your iTunes Library) so that it syncs back to your iTunes when you re-sync?
Old Oct 8th, 2011, 02:48 PM

Hi, thanks for responding,

Nothing to do with itunes or a PC/Mac, I just want to be able to use only my iPad, my NAS and the Sonos

So when I see a mispelt album or artist on the CR200 controller I would like to use the ipad, access the file on the NAS and edit the information.

Hope that helps..
Old Oct 9th, 2011, 08:24 AM

As far as I can see, there shouldn't necessarily be any limitation as to why iOS wouldn't allow this (downloading files to an App is able to be done, editing those files, and re-saving them even to an external source like DropBox). However, I'm not entirely sure communicating to something like Dropbox is anywhere near the same as uploading information to your local network (NAS). As far as I'm aware, iOS does not have a native SMB/CIFS stack (which is why Sonos cannot access music directly from the device) and I would imagine because of that it also would lack the ability to connect and authenticate to an SMB/CIFS server (such as your NAS).

Just food for thought. I did a bit of googlin' magic and came up with multiple Photo Metadata editors, but no track editors and unfortunately I couldn't find any information on the apps in question in regards to re-uploading them to a NAS.

-C
Old Oct 11th, 2011, 01:20 PM

Thanks Clay.

I also had a look and could not see anything on the app store.

Now When i started looking, I didn't think I was asking much to only have to work with my NAS, my IPad and my Sonos - although it seems maybe I am?

Maybe Sonos or a company/individual they work closely with could come up with something special to remove the need for iTunes (or similar) and a PC/Mac
Old Oct 12th, 2011, 01:24 PM

Certainly possible. Not sure if it would ever be a Sonos product, but perhaps a third party at some point. I mean - wouldn't you prefer our devs work on making your Sonos itself better? ;-)

Thanks for your feedback Parker and good luck in your search.
Old Oct 29th, 2011, 04:11 AM

Thanks Clay,

I'm always keen for Sonos to continuously develop -and feel free to look at my suggested 5 improvements in one of the other posts

But if SONOS or a third party have the time to develop something (it must be pretty simple) that can allow track data/tag/information to be edited on the iPad, it would be a good complimentary tool for those who like their meta data to be perfect.

Gone are the days of organising your LP/record collection, for many it's now about how accurate their music file data is, I hate to see a typo or missed info (which means I can't find a song/artist or album)

I'll keep dreaming, as i've not found anything yet - hopefully one day i'll be able to retire the PC and just live off the iPad.
Old May 1st, 2014, 12:52 AM

Exclamation iPad app as Music Tag/Info Editor for NAS connected to SONOS

SERIOUSLY NEEDED, you are not the only one searching for a solution to edit mp3 files in an app. The best app for this would be the SONOS DS Audio app, please imrpove this app by adding this feature
Old May 27th, 2014, 04:41 AM

I'm thinking about putting together an iOS app for this purpose. The problem is indeed the SMB/CIFS client as there doesn't appear to a good solution and I don't want to create one.

Would access to the NAS via FTP or WebDAV be acceptable for most users do you think?

Also what do you think is an acceptable price for such an app? Couple of £/$/€? Or free with ads (you have to promise to click the ads )?